Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iliketerrariums

Micro mini orchid

iliketerrariums
18 years ago

Hi all, just thought Id give you a look at my first orchid, Schoenorchis frangrans Micro mini orchid, I just mounted it to a small branch and stuck the branch in the foam background =) its about the size of my pinky nail!

http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/f0/e1/35_2.JPG

Comments (12)

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

A great plant just be sure to grow it with lots of light and don't water it every day. This species likes to dry out completly between watering and will suffer if kept too moist.

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the Info, my set up has very good air circulation and dries out well between mistings, (I only mist once a week) all the plants seem to like this misting "routine," when it arrived it was very dry, so I misted it well with RO water, then the next day mounted it and misted it again, its been in the tank and looks well, it will be misted again with the rest of the set up next week.

• whatisntseen
    18 years ago

beautiful plant. I want to get a couple of mini orchids of some sort with the extra money I have laying around. Unsure of which type may do well in my high light and medium moisture tank. Where'd you get the plant?

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    To those interested in orchids. I'd suggest reading Andy's orchids. They specialize in non-hybridized types.
    They have a wonderful search feature which allows you to eliminate all those that don't fit into your needs. Such as "Warm,humid lowlight,non seasonal."
    Even if you don't buy from them it gives you names of suitable specie.
    gary
    gary

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

I would also reccomend Andy's Orchids as a wonderful source of plants especially the odd or generally hard to find species.

Orchids are my main area of interest so if anyone has questions feel free to ask them. The orchid fourm on Gardenweb is also great and the photo gallery is a good place to get some inspiration.

• iliketerrariums
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone, I bought it at, http://stores.ebay.com/CJCOLLECTIBLES-ORCHIDS they where very nice people and shipped only when they thought the temp in my area was right, they were fast to answer emails and even faster with delivery! First impressions are the most important, and they did impress me! =)

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Mike
    i also grow a bunch of orchids but not a one in terrarium lol. Most of the good choices for terrariums are the hardest to find.

What specie are you growing in terrariums??
    gary

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

I have several Pleurothallis brighamii plants that do very well in warm temperatures. Pleurotahllis grobyi would be another good candidate. The smaller Bulbophyllums are also good candidates and I have Bulbophyllum gracillimum and a tiny Bulbophyllum catenulatum. I removed the other Bulbophyllum divisions because the epiphytic ferns were constantly shading them but there were several other species in there as well. I basically take divisions of my plants and if I am not going to trade them I will attach them to suitable areas in the terrarium. As long as you stick to species that do not need a seasonal dry period and can stand warm to hot temperatures you should be fine. I find that orchids can be a bit of a gamble in terrariums and I have lost s few miniatures due to bad placement in relation to light and moisture levels.

I have a list of the orchids I grow on my members page if you are interested. I grow mainly Bulbophyllum and Angraecoids from Africa and Madagascar but there are various other types in there as well.

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Mike
    That has been my general experience also..Even the ones that did fair in terrariums did much better in the shadehouse. As you would imagne they have lots of sales here but 99 percent are Cats,Phals Dends. and then mostly hybrids.
    Maybe when I get my big setup done I'll use my 75 for those tiny unusual orchids.. They have to be warm growers though lol. Would love to have a refrigerated terrarim for the high altitudes. Of course I may not live long enough to get the large setup done lol. Going very slowly.
    gary

• paul_
    17 years ago

Gary,
    For true mini's, you might try Haraella odorata [retrocalla], Encyclia polybulbon, or Den oligophyllum. They've done quite well for me in my 30 gal tank. You might also try some of the Restripia. With the exception of the Encyclia mentioned above, I got the others from Oakhill. They were quite inexpensive.

• mdahms1979
    17 years ago

Gary I have noticed that in recent time there has been a tremendous price drop in those free standing air conditioners. There are even small models with a low output and new all in one models that humidify, dehumidify, heat, and cool depending on the setting. These could make cooling a large tank much more feasible.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    Thanks for the recommendations one that I've always wanted to try is Cishweinfia, spelled something like that lol. I'm waiting for my big plants to get established and the tank to establish. Trying to grow Mendinilla and Antheriums epi was unable to find any with aerial roots. They are struggling but think they'll make it . Wouldn't you know that as soon as planted the humidity dropped to 20 percent and dry as a bone lol
    Mike
    I've been so tempted to try a cool terrarium but the Florida heat is tough. Maybe ,when I get my new setup done and I win the lottery lol.
    gary

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus