Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cambyses

Complete renovation...

CAMBYSES
19 years ago

Yesterday I did some plumbing work for my boss at her home, and in return she gave me a $50 gift card to Lowes...Oringinally I was going to buy lights but I did that last week...So I went and purchsed a few new plants and completely renovated my paludarium. Today I planted a white african violet, a pink polka dot, a cypranthus(spelling), a pony tail palm, and neanthobella(spelling) Palm. I am very happy with the new look of the land. I will hopefully post pics soon. but until then I have a question. I lined the entire back and sides with coco-fiber that I bought at lowes, its the stuff used to line baskets with. I would really like to mount some plants to the back and sides of my tank. are there any suggestions for plants and how to mount them... Like I said I would really like to do this so I can make use of every inch of my set up... thank you in advance

CAMBY

Comments (9)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Sweet! Good plant choices, though the ponytail palm should not be planted in the terrarium. They don't like to be moist all the time. That big swollen lump at the base of the 'trunk' is for storing water, so they are kind of like cacti. More like sago palms, actually, but the point being, just grow it in a pot and let it get good and dry between waterings. I hope the polka-dot retains it's colour for you, mine couldn't do it (not high enough light in my tank).

As for the coco-matting, I hope you used a ton of silicone to stick it on, because after about two years of being constantly moist, they have a bad reputation for just falling completely apart. I suppose that if you have it completely covered by plants by then, all the plant roots might hold it together, but I don't know. You could mount your cryptanthus onto the coco-matting. Ferns would also love it, as long as it stays moist. You can just poke a little hole in the matting with your finger and shove the crypt in there. Ferns would need to have their roots rinsed of soil, and then maybe stick it to the matting with bobby-pins or plant velcro ties or twist-ties or something. Other good epiphytes would be mini orchids, selaginella would probably eventually grow onto it, as would F. pumila, tillies, very small broms, etc. I look forward to the pics!

• CAMBYSES
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sahoyaref,
    Thank you again for your input, you always have the answers. I would really like to have some ferns and tillies, I would love a small Brom, where can I find these plants small enough for this?

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Although I had a bad experience with them, everyone else seems to love Black Jungle. Just make sure you order from them in the summer. They seem to ship healthier plants then. They've got the rabbit's foot fern and others, lots of tillies (I am actually very happy with the tillies I ordered from them), and I think they have a few small broms. I lucked out by finding an extraordinarily tiny guzmania in a grocery store. They also had very tiny vriesias (which I now kick myself for not buying). I'm talking about plants only 2" tall, perfect mini versions of the larger ones. I have a feeling they were probably genetically altered in some way, but the offspring stay tiny as well, so I'm happy. I could maybe send you one of the pups, though it would be illegal, and you might never get it. Lots of tillies are the same size though, so you'd be better off getting a couple of those. The smallest that I have are T. argentia, T. stricta, T. velutina, T. tenuifolia, and possibly T. streptophylla. Larger tillies, ones to avoid for small tanks, would be T. cyanea (huge!) and T. caput-medusae. Other than that, just keep your eyes open at HD and Lowes for tiny broms. And don't get any ferns unless it says specifically that they are minis, not just small plants that will soon grow huge.

• CAMBYSES
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sahoya,
    Thank you for the info.I did use ALOT! of silicone when I applied the coco fiber. Two tubes just for that LOL. I was wondering if I can mount my Crypt to a branch I have in my Terr? if so, can I use moist Sphagnum moss to mount it? it will be mounted facing up and flat to the wood. the Branch lies across the Terr. I have also found some small Tillies but the local flower shop here wants WAY too much money for them. She wanted 11.00 for 1 plant in a 3.5 pot. I will continue my search for a few of these.

Will Ivy be to hard to control? and can I look into creeping fig or any other vine plants?

Sorry for all the questions. I am very happy with my terr now except for the back being so bare and boring.
    Thanks
    CAMBY

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Yes, you can mount the crypt to a branch. You don't even need any sphagnum around the roots if your humidity is at 80% or higher all the time. The roots of broms are mostly for attaching them to their 'host' tree. They take in moisture from the air with their leaves, hence the name 'air plants'. $11 is too much for a tilly! Good heavens. . . I have the same problem here though, which is why I ordered from Black Jungle. You could let creeping fig (F. pumila) grow up the walls, but it would be just as invasive as any ivy. A good alternative is F. quercifolia. You can order it from Rob's voilets (they carry other mini plants as well, such as mini ferns). It has the small leaves of F. pumila, but it looks exactly like a mini ivy! Cutest vine in the world. . . I'll be ordering one this summer (hopefully), among other plants, from Rob's. Ana has some in her terrarium as well. I've linked them below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rob's

• CAMBYSES
    Original Author
    19 years ago

well I found my Tillies today!!!!!!!!!!! I got 2 Stricta and 2 Argentea. and I only payed 3.99 for all 4!!!! They are all about 1 1/2" high. My Convict Cichlids had ALOT of babies today in the terr. and I picked up some mini AVs to replace the AVs I had in there. they look alot better and dont take up nearly the same space. and just for good measure I got a really tiny Strawberry Begonia. Thank you again for all your help Sahoya.
    Thanks
    Bob

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Hey, $4 for 4 tillies is great! The begonia will probably eventually outgrow your tank, but it should look nice while it does. =) What do you feed your fry? Have they ever spawned before? Do you sell the babies?

• CAMBYSES
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This is my first time with Convict Fry. I feed them baby brine, and finely crushed flake food. they are also snacking on my java moss as well(lol) I have never sold the babies, but If I were to do so I would sell them really cheap. something like 3 - $2.50. with the plants that I removed from the Terr last night I made a nice arrangement for my Mom. I put two AVs(1 white / 1 purple) with the pony tial palm, a small Pothos, and a "Peace Lilly". Hopefully she will like it. I used a large metal tin that I poked holes in the bottom of and I lined the bottom of the tin with river rocks, and some coco-fiber. it looks pretty nice.
    Thanks again for the help.

One more quick question for ya... I have 2 24" day light flourescent tubes 40 watts each and 3 25 watt CF day light bulbs in my terr, do you think it is enough light for my plants?

Thanks Again
    Bob

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Yes, that definitely sounds like enough light for your plants. Just make sure you change the bulbs every year on a rotating basis. This is not only less of a shock to your wallet, but to the plants as well. =) Have fun raising those fry! And make sure you do daily water changes of about 50%. You'd be amazed at how much they poop even when so tiny. . . and water changes seem to make them grow! I raised bettas once. Man that was a lot of work. . .

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource