Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Succulents in an old vase...possible?

Posted by ihatepavelbure Portland, OR (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 22:24

Hi there,

I've got a ton of old florist vases from flowers that were delivered, etc. I would like to put a few succulents in one of these and was thinking I could do pebbles, a screen/sphagnum moss, then a potting medium into the vase making it into a small open-top terrarium.

Kind of as pictured in the link below.

What do you think, is this possible?

Here is a link that might be useful: succulents in a vase

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Succulents in an old vase...possible?

It's do-able, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't want to keep it permanently, or want to spend time being the most careful water-er on the planet. Terrariums with succulents really aren't made to last. Succulent watering requirements don't lend well to glass, especially with no drainage holes. They will rot if kept wet. If you buy a glass drill bit and make drainage holes and don't water until all the soil is dry, then maybe it's passable.

o
RE: Succulents in an old vase...possible?

To add to what JungleMel said above, the succulents pictured above have incompatible needs for sun & watering.

The Crassula types (the long thin thing, C lycopoidioides), will want lots of bright light, maybe some direct, light as will the Echevaria. The darker Haworthia in the center largely wants shade, so that would eventually mean something will be unhappy while the others could be happy.

I grow lots of succulents & am a frequent poster at C&S Forum of GW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here