Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aquaponics anyone....?

Posted by ccwood 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 23:11

i am looking into a small aquaponics system 10-15'x20-30' long, but i'm finding a very hard time about information and details about this for a small scale-small landowner just looking into options for a family, not large scale production types. i found only a few books which were very pricey, but i decided to buy one ($60.00). i was wondering if anyone has a similar system or can point me in the right direction (other than buying more books), so i don't blow my families savings for a wasted cause. times are difficult for us (wife and 4 kids) working on low payscales so i need to be frugal(?) with any investments i make for us but hard, manual labor is not a problem at all. thank you for any imput you have.

ccwood

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aquaponics anyone....?

Hi
Do a google on the word "Aquaponics" there is tons of info on the internet.
I've dabbled a bit in the method but mostly for ornamental fish. Have nevr tried it for food. Good luck gary

o

IMO it's just a gimmick to make the builder rich. You can't grow large enough fish to eat in it and it won't produce enough or a balanced fertilizer for healthy plants. Don't fall for their BS!

o

• Posted by Rob6 none (My Page) on
    Mon, May 30, 11 at 21:09

CC
I am just starting out in this method of growing fish (Blue gill) and veggies. the fish and the veg are doing quite well. The system that I modeled uses the 275 gal water tanks and some plastic trays that were from a motor-home (storage trays)I used expanded clay ( Hydroton) in some of the beds and pea gravel in the others, the next set of beds I'll use expanded shale as the grow medium. The easiest method for the beds is to use the fill and dump system, basically foolproof. There is some great info and a forum at www.aquaponics.net.au Also some videos on you-tube for aquaponics.

o

Your dimensions sound ok but you did not give a depth.
It will probably be a challenge at first in getting plants to grow. Be sure to research out what plants are best for this use. Also on the fish use only plant feeding fish, not game fish as game fish will not survive unless they have feeder fish to live off of, the feeders would be plant eating fish.
I have done something like this by accident but not using plants to feed off of. What I discovered is that catfish will grow remarkedly large in small pools provided they have abundant plant matter to feed off of. And the pool does not have to be very deep either.
Tilpia is what seems to be the preferred fish.
Do your research and take your time in working out your system. It won't happen overnight. Probably take a couple of years to really get the hang of it.

o

I would start out with a system much smaller than what you have mentioned. I set up a very small setup in my apartment a couple years ago with mixed success. I learned enough from that 30 Gallon setup to be more confident with a larger system. On the other hand, I saw horticulture professors at a local college consistently kill fish from inexperience in there large setup. Perhaps start with part of your designated space and build it up over time. Here are some articles I found particularly helpful:

https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/PDF/aquaponic.pdf

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/Travis/Aquaponics_Common_Sense_Guide.pdf

There have been a few iterations of this one, but his early one was one of my favorite resources for my setup.
http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/education/documents/barrel-ponics.pdf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here