Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrgrdnmom

Thinking of a 30-gal terrarium

flwrgrdnmom
17 years ago

I remember having a 10-gal tank before that I layered activated charcoal, then good potting soil in and planted with just different "house" plants.

I am wanting something similar, but am unsure if what I did was right as there was a white fungus growing on the soil and most of the plants died within a couple of months. (This was before the internet!)

So, I now have a nice 30-gal tank with a hood/lightstrip. What and how should I go about setting this up? I'd like plants that have nice foliage color/texture, not necessarily that bloom. (The light strip only has a single bulb, though the bulb doesn't say what the wattage is. I'm sure it's not too much though as on my fish tank I use an exact replica on it and I can't even grow aquarium plants in it.)

Any advice, please?

Thank you,

Stephanie - flwrgrdnmom

Comments (8)

• paul_
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd say first start by perusing the FAQ. You might get some ideas there as before you get too far along, you'll want to try to narrow down your plant choices by deciding what kind of "environmnet" you will provide ... will you focus on bog plants, dry tropicals, etc. ARe you planning on keeping the tank covered or open to the air? It will simply make it easier to determine not only what plants to get but all the other needs you will have to meet. : )

One note, you very likely will need more than one bulb if that is the only light source.

• flwrgrdnmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, thanks! I'll get to the FAQ ASAP! : )

• larry_b
    17 years ago

Hi Stephanie,

The faq is a good place to start. I hope you don't mind if I give you a view of my observations when building my terrarium. You can look at my terrarium by looking at "Building first real Terrarium". I got quite a bit of information from Black Jungle. Click on "Online Catalog" at the top and you'll see some of the project you won't be on the left.

First you will need a substrate. Many people use good size gravel; large enough where there is lots of airspace. Only trouble with gravel is that it is heavy and that makes it a problem to move your terrarium. I decided to go the extra money route and buy something called Terri-Lite. It is much lighter and I think works really well. I'm really pleased with the product.

You will need a substrate divider. That is a screen that will keep the soil from sifting down into the substrate. Nylon screen works very well or one can buy substrate divider from Black Jungle.

Now comes the soil. For goodness sakes don't use dirt. It will get too soggy. If you do augment it with something that will do you good drainage. I did quite a bit of research with the soil and was probably as confused at the end as I was at the beginning. Some people swear that coco fiber is the optimal plant medium. I am into African violets and gesneriads and belong to both of those G. W. forums. Over there people curse coco fiber. It is too salty and African violets do not do well in it. In my terrarium I use a 1:1:1 mixture of milled spagnum (not peat moss), vermiculite and perlite. I did not have animals so the perlite is not a problem for me. If you do have animals do not add perlite and I would ask about the vermiculite. In fact, you may need to go some other route. Ask people who have animals what they do.

Different places to buy plants. Black Jungle is also a good place for plants. Tropiflora is another one. I also like Rob's Violets for some of the smaller plants and they are priced a little cheaper. Click on miniature houseplants. The AndOak Hill Gardens is a good place to get orchids. My advice is that you call the various places to order. You can get some valuable information about the plants you are wanting to put into the terrarium. For instance when I talked to Rob's Violets they were very helpful in telling me which miniature plants would work depending on what kind of terrarium I was wanting to make.

I hope this helps. I don't have animals or water features in my terrarium, so you will have to ask around for help with those is you are going to included either of them.

That is about all I know. My terrarium is over six months old now and is doing very well. I'm really pleased with it and I enjoy it every day. With a 30 gal. aquarium you will have more options than I did with my 10 gal. tank, but you'll still need to be aware of how large the plants are going to get that you purchase for it. If the plants grow too fast or too big, there is a possibility that you will be pruning every month. In my terrarium I have not had to prune anything except for the German grass and of all things they African violet (a miniature at that). Everything else has kept quite small and is slow-growing.

Good luck,

Larry

• larry_b
    17 years ago

The last line of the first paragraph should say, "Click on 'Online Catalog' at the top and you'll see some of the links on the left"

• flwrgrdnmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have some left over pea gravel I was going to use for substrate. I had thought about weight, but I don't plan on moving it once it's all done so I'm not too concerned about it. I really like the screen idea for a divider... would probably work good and be fairly cheap, too. I will not have any animals/water features, so for the soil I was thinking about a cheap potting soil (meaning, one with no fertilizers/miracle grow)with some perlite and maybe peat moss added. How does that sound?
    Thanks!

• flwrgrdnmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have also thought of using lava rock as the substrate... would that be ok?
    Thx!

• larry_b
    17 years ago

Hi,

I think lava rock would work just fine And it would be lightweight also. Good idea!

Looking over your post again I realize I hadn't addressed your question about the white mold growing on the top of the soil. I have also had that problem. I think the thing that I have had the best success, as far as being mold is concerned, is putting a small fan in the terrarium. When I say small and I mean a small computer fan. Before you get scared and decided that you don't want to do it, let me tell you that it is not a big deal. You can buy a small computer fan at RadioShack and then buy a transformer to go with it. They are really quite reasonable in price.

I hope this helps,

Larry

• flwrgrdnmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have a potted peace lily that also grows white moldy stuff on the top of it. I'm not sure why, as it's in an open area, but it does. I just mix the soil up on the top when it gets too bad. I've thought about adding a layer of dried moss to the top, just to cover it. :)
    After reading a bit on terrariums lately, it seems I may have not had enough circulation. I know it couldn't have gotten any fresh air bc I taped up every little hole and kept the lid shut, only opening it once a week to water it. (Yeah, I've realized that I was overwatering it, too!) With this one I'm going to see how it goes and then get a fan if need be. I don't want to waste money on one if I don't really need it though, ya know? At least now I'll know what kind to get and all.
    Thanks for the help!!!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County