Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidomato

Terrarium design

orchidomato
17 years ago

Hi. I just joined and did a bit of reading in the FAQ section but didn't find what I was looking for.

I was at the 2007 Philly flower show and when I saw the dish gardens, Terrariums, and Wardian Cases, I decided to make one.

The size of my terrarium will be 20x12, and 12" tall. The top will be flat. The walls will be 1/8" glass which will slide into corner posts made of wood. The top will be covered by a piece of plexiglass.

As for plants, I will leave a 6x12" space in the terrarium for orchids. I have a Sophronitella Violacea and a Masdevallia. Are these two suitable for a terrarium? Besides orchids, I have a small juniper tree and a pink snow rose tree. I'll be planting some moss as well to give a tropical effect. I also have two ferns which will go into the terrarium. A few questions I have are: Are there any flowering perrenials to match what I'm planting? (Miniature plants would be prefferred) And, if yes, could you please name them? Would African Violets do good in the terrarium? Are there any mini foliage plants suitable for terrariums? How about ground cover?

As for lighting, I'm not sure what type of light bulb to use. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!