Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Miniature container gardens......

gardenlady48
16 years ago

Greetings~

Just wondering if anyone has info to share on where to get ideas for themes when making a miniature garden container. I need some kind of picture etc. to follow first time attempt.

Thanks, Pam

Comments (6)

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

Wow haven't even thought of this in years! But have done so.
    My own experience centers around using the saucers used for pots, specifically the clay ones that you can drill holes into the bottom, using first a fine drill bit and then move up to a larger one until the size of hole desired is reached. Need to get some squares of screenig to cover the hole.
    I basically used the smallest species of succulents I could find for these very small saucer gardens and arranged using small to large stones to add effect. Best plants would be sedums with maybe a dudleya or echeveria for a center piece.
    Currently the closest I come is with two that I have on my roof and have ignored for some time and is with my current moss culture of the prostrate species but I have not really attempted a garden type arrangement with them but it would be possible.

in checking the net it seems most references are to fabricated gardens for doll houses or other scenes so the net is not all that much help though I noticed that one link that appeared on my home page offers some ideas too!
    container gardenig

I believe that some of the information under a search under "container gardening" may be of some use but most appear to be focused on larger formats than what i suspect your intent is.
    I currently have a couple that might be of interest and will image same later today.
    Hope all this helps.
    Jerry

Here is a link that might be useful: moss in low containers

• paul_
    16 years ago

Have you looked at the gallery There are some scattered amongst them as I recall.

:)

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

Here is one of the three
    {{gwi:372192}}
    This started out originally to grow Polypodium californicum but I have Dudleya edulis growing over my back porch roof and it seeded into the pot. Cannot believe how fast the seedlings have grown!

Here is a link that might be useful: two more here

• dickensb
    15 years ago

Do you have any other suggestions for miniature succulents?

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

I have tried minature bonsai gardens, however I will warn you I was never successful. Of course, I find bonsai gardens more difficult than growing orchids! Some of the nurseries in my area with larger selections of indoor plants carry very small starter bonsai plants. The greatest difficulty I had was finding the right light and water levels.

Sarah

• terrestrial_man
    15 years ago

I would check out local WalMarts or OSH to see what they have. Probably any of the Lithops or Fenestra species will do but watch on the culture-these babies NEED to be kept dry with sporadic watering.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow lithops