Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
venus fly trap...

Posted by cghpnd 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 14:37

Hey ... I was given a venus fly trap plant. Hippie I'm in the right place. I'm new to plants. About 1 month to be exact.

How do I take care of them. What do they like?
It came with a cup.

I'm lost when out comes to plants. I appreciate any information. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: venus fly trap...

Hi
You really picked a toughie as a first plant lo lVFT requires a cold dormant period which makes them difficult as a houseplant. Lots of info on the internet on culture
Try a search by the name or check out many of the "Bog garden" sites . Guidelines for culture in your area.. Certainly a fantastic plant but does require special care. Good luck gary

o

They are native to south carolina and thus whatever the weather is doing there will be what they need to stay healthy,which as gary indicated above is NOT easy.

Spending their dormancy in the fridge works from what I've heard. Last time I had one it spent the time it should have been dormant in a terrarium and YEP...I killed it. Poor thing needed rest!

o

Hi
What i do is start them from seed in late Sept..grow as long as possible then start over. True, i don't get the largest size but do avoid most of the hassle
Wife insists on using the fridge for fruits and veggies which tended to lead to mold and fungus for the VFT. More hassle to counter with fungicide
The average of the seed method is around 8/10 months
Now if you get a dedicated fridge ??? you can also throw in some Iris Hosta agapanthus etc etc, lol gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here