Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bilgerat_gw

Planting New Viv

bilgerat
18 years ago

Hi guys, Im finally got my light from zoomed, I was a little dissapointed with them intially but they did take care of me in the end. Anyway I'm getting ready to start planting and am trying to get a little input. My pond area is about 8" by 6" and about 4" deep and fed by a waterfall. I am thinking about planting some Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, maybe green at the back of the pond and some lilaeopsis brasiliensis on the gravel bottom and on the two slopes going into the pond. I'm just a little worried about the lilaeopsis growing two tall and filling the pond or there not being sufficient room for the frogs. The tank is a 55 gal. aquarium, and I'm planning on putting in a couple of Firebelly Toads and a couple of Anoles.

Comments (3)

• back2eight
    18 years ago

The anoles will die from the toxins of the toads. Mixing species like that is nto a good idea. Plus all the animals in the tank will be very stressed out from having to live with a different species, which will make them more prone to sickness, and hasten their death. Most anoles are wild caught, also, which means they will probably be bringing in parasites that the FBT could contract. Just stick with one species or the other in the tank!

• bilgerat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I guess I shouldn't have said anything about mixing species. After reading the other posts on this site I already how most of you feel about this subject. Mainly I was looking for a little info on the plants. But I appreciate the feedback.

• back2eight
    18 years ago

Well, the FBTs need a lot more water than land, and the anoles are mainly going to be arboreal, so they each need totally differet set-ups, which is another reason for not mixing, even though the other reasons given were plenty to go on. Why put them in there when you know they will die? It is not a personal preference, it is common sense and a fact. I have a 150 gallon tank and I still wouldn't attempt to mix different animal in it, ESPECIALLY ones that needed totally different living requirements as those two that you mentioned. You might as well stick a grizzly bear in the house with you, since after all, you eat pretty much the same things and can handle the same temperatures, why wouldn't you get along? Even though it is "just" a frog and "just" a lizard we are talking about, it is still going to be a pointless death and a stressful life for them, which could easily be changed by setting them up their own little tanks that are suited to their needs. There are some frog forums that have very knowledgeable people that could help you with this subject. This is mainly a plant forum, even though a lot of us do keep animals in ours. Unlike most people, I don't know very many plants by their scientific names, but by their common ones, so I can't help on that plant selection that you have. Although there are so many other MAJOR things wrong with your set up that I would think the plan selection should be the least of your worries right now. But all that aside, maybe there is someone here who knows about those plants and can comment on their efficacy in a FBT tank. But since this is mainly a plant forum, they might not know how well those would do in that set up. Check out talktothefrog.org or dendroboard for more specific info like what you are looking for.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting