Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprouter

Tank ecosystem?

Sprouter
10 years ago

I have taken an interest in terrariums but want to do one where all plants compete similar to outside. It will contain self pollinating weeds like hairy bittercress and the smaller forget me not's ect which will grow after the other plants died. These weeds are normally found in gardens and are pretty hardy. I want to create a terrarium out of an old box aquarium. Put in gravel, charcoal, moss/netting, soil and then plant some dug up garden weeds. Place in a few large rocks and place some moss on them. Then throw in a few pillbugs as these will be beneficial for the soil, plants and terrarium and can hide under the rocks. I may also put in 1 or 2 earth worms to also help the soil and maybe some springtails if possible. The dead organic matter will feed the decomposers and if numbers get too high the pillbugs will resort to cannibalism. I may also add other species after the tank establishes like a few beetles or jumping spiders. I want to create a stabilised working ecosystem within a sealed container (I am not fussy about what it looks like.)
Does anyone here believe it would work and if anyone would be interested in this "experiment"? Also please can I have advice if there is anything wrong with my idea? Thanks for reading

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?