Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edauphin

Begonia Partita Under Glass?

edauphin
20 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am not knowledgable about terrariums, but I have recently purchased a nice begonia partita and I am wondering if it might do well under a glass 'bell' or something to keep the humidity and temperatures more constant. I live in a very dry apartment with a western exposure. This is a tuberous begonia, and I have seen on other sites that it is a good terrarium choice (?)

Any advice would be well appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (2)

• komi
    20 years ago

First up, I do not grow begonias so I could be wrong about all of this. But, I am considering this particular begonia because you can turn it into a bonsai, and I've done a bit of research. My understanding is that it prefers to dry out between waterings. This can be done in a terrarium, but you would pretty much have to change the potting medium. You definitely want to avoid rotting the tuber from too much constant moisture. It also needs quite a bit of light - another difficulty under glass because you'd get a lot of evaporation and condensation. (It might be fine until the summer.) It will need pruning to stay small. I guess none of this says that you couldn't grow under glass, but to me it sounds like other options to keep the humidity and temps up might be better.

I have desert conditions in my office window and spritz everything using a facial toner bottle (a finer mist than your average spray bottle). Another modification may be a dome of sorts, but with a big gap underneath - I do this at home. Another option - to give it a shower once a week (without drenching the potting mix too - unless it needs watering).

• Zzzzzzzzz
    19 years ago

I know, this os old, but then almost all the posts here are.

B partita does fine in terrariums, for me. The light is a big factor though, it will grow long thin stems instead of the short thick trunks it's known for in anything less than full bright light when kept that humid.

If you want to test one out, just clip the top or an odd branch and set it in the terrarium, they root very easily in high humidity.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths