Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pillow Moss Dies in My Terrarium... Help?!

Posted by james_grow_101 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 18:37

Hello!

I use a mixture of coir, soil and charcoal in my terrarium with a top 1" layer of coir. The substrate is loosely packed for good drainage.

Why does my pillow moss always yellow and die on me? It's in a sunny, but not too sunny, location.

Thanks!
James

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pillow Moss Dies in My Terrarium... Help?!

pillow moss is not the best terrarium moss. 9 out of 10 times it will die.

If you want a fairly good terrarium moss, try java moss. it thrives in moist to wet conditions. some selaginella, although not true mosses, do very well in terrariums. sphagnum moss may spring back to life in wet conditions but soon dies, as it is a temperate moss.

you could also try some moss-like plants such as babys tears. however, it will soon become a weed, so prune it regulary if it becomes a pest.

~chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here