Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssadams7700

Fungus

ssadams7700
14 years ago

A few months ago I purchased some flytrap, sundew and purple pitcher seeds for a 7 gal. glass water bottle terrarium with about a 2.5" opening at the top. Its the kind you would find inverted on a modern water cooler accept, made of old think glass. The sundew and flytrap seeds have started growing nicely but no sign of the purple pitchers yet. The plants get about 2.5 hours of direct midday sun from a southern exposure. Soil is wet and has only required one watering. The bottle sits in a room with a ceiling fan that is always on low.

The trouble I am having is that thin, hairy, light white fungus. It is emanating slowly from the center and is now about 3" in diameter. I think that this fungus propagates in moist soil with little air movement. I increased the speed of the ceiling fan to try and get better air circulation, but have not been able to stop the spread. Most recently I purchased a small solar powered fan that I will set up very near the opening of the bottle to try and stop further spread of this ugly stuff.

In your experience, am I doing the right thing to stop this fungus? What else can I do? Help, really like watching this terrarium develop.

Thanks, Scott

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!