Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus

Posted by ssadams7700 WI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 19:41

A few months ago I purchased some flytrap, sundew and purple pitcher seeds for a 7 gal. glass water bottle terrarium with about a 2.5" opening at the top. Its the kind you would find inverted on a modern water cooler accept, made of old think glass. The sundew and flytrap seeds have started growing nicely but no sign of the purple pitchers yet. The plants get about 2.5 hours of direct midday sun from a southern exposure. Soil is wet and has only required one watering. The bottle sits in a room with a ceiling fan that is always on low.
The trouble I am having is that thin, hairy, light white fungus. It is emanating slowly from the center and is now about 3" in diameter. I think that this fungus propagates in moist soil with little air movement. I increased the speed of the ceiling fan to try and get better air circulation, but have not been able to stop the spread. Most recently I purchased a small solar powered fan that I will set up very near the opening of the bottle to try and stop further spread of this ugly stuff.
In your experience, am I doing the right thing to stop this fungus? What else can I do? Help, really like watching this terrarium develop.

Thanks, Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus

Hi Scott,

I think you are in the right direction. Air flow is what is going to help your situation.

Larry

o

Pitcher plant seeds need stratification. They won't germinate without a cold/wet period. VFTs need full sun all day. You can't do that in a bottle. I'm afraid you are going to end up with just the Drosera if you get the air circulating. A spray of hydrogen peroxide will kill the mold but that's just a temporary fix.

o

You are quite correct that stagnant, moist conditions provide an environment conducive to fungal growth. However, with that size opening, you have negligable odds of getting any kind of real air circulation in play inside the bottle. You would need to have a fan INSIDE the bottle.

Taz is quite correct that you will not be able to give the vfts the light they need in that bottle without cooking them. Also, pitcher plants (I'm assuming you have some sort of Sarracenia) also require a great deal of full sun. Again, you will not be able to provide enough with your bottle garden w/o causing it to overheat.

Because bottle gardens cannot be supplied with a great deal of direct sun/very strong light and the inherent stagnant air issues, plants like mosses and ferns that enjoy those very conditions are often used for bottle gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here