Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelo_s

misting systrms

angelo_s
19 years ago

has anyone ever bought or heard of automatic misting system for example The Rainmaker, Mr. Moisture and Big Apple misting systems. or has anyone made there own. I was considering buying the Rainmaker jr. for my paludarian for the plants and to increase the humidity

Comments (19)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I've probably posted on this ad nauseum, so do a forum search for 'misting systems'

• hoschi
    19 years ago

I use the Rainmaker Jr. and love it. I installed 3 nozzles for my 75 gal. tank. The system kicks on twice a day for 1 min. (morning and afternoon). I do hand mist a few plants that need to be extra wet (some nepenthes) and don't get sprayed directly. You may get around this by planting in "nozzle-friendly" patterns. I put in my system way after all the plants were set. If I ever remodel my tank I'd make a few changes and probably would never have to handmist again. I do have a water feature with an outside canister filter that allows me to easily drain excess water (usually once a week). I don't have a false bottom though, just a 2" layer of leca or gravel (for the water feature). My frogs love it too.

• Cdfortin
    19 years ago

I have a Mr. Moisture system that works fine. But, if you buy one of the cheaper systems like Mr. Moisture (lllreptile.com for 99 bucks-the cheapest auto system I could find anywhere), you have to be very careful not to let them run dry. If they run dry, they get insanly hot and can easily cause fires (I know this from personal experience-luckily all that happened to me was a melted carpet). But they really are quite convenient, especially for busy people. Also, when you get your system, be sure only to use distilled or RO water.

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thankd guys for all your input I ordered the rainmaker jr. from www.cloudtops.com I thint they have a beter water pump than the other brands I saw on the net.
    I was thinking of makeing my own system but I dont have the time to serch for the materials I know I would have saved about $50 or so and have a higher quality system.

I ordered the rainmaker on friday morning and called them on monday to ask when they were going to ship it all I got was an answering machine now it is tuesday night with no answer and Im fed up has anyome bought any products from from Ecologic Tecnologies

• Cdfortin
    19 years ago

I had a similar experience with wetworks misting systems. It turns out that they had been at a trade show for 4 days! Just give them time...they won't risk losing your money.

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

they finally responded they apologized and told me that I would receive my product early next week. The only thing that I dislike is that this company doesnt issue a tracking number so anticipation has got the best of me

• hoschi
    18 years ago

I got my Rainmaker Jr. from them too. It took forever and I got nervous at first cause they didn't answer my emails. I also had no tracking number. One day it just arrived. Everything was fine though and it worked great. They are pretty cheap, I guess you have to pay some extra patience instead.

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've been told that you must use distilled or RO water So I priced out at home water distillers and found out that they are expensive and not practical they put out 1 gal of distilled water in about 4-5 hours and they are priced at over $100 each and RO filter systems are also expensive and I really think I only need up to 5 gals a week. What type of water is everyone else using? and if you use distilled water how do you obtain it and how much it cost?
    Thank you everyone

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

The reason you want to use distilled water with misting systems is twofold. First, tap/mineral/spring/purified water will eventually clog the nozels over time due to mineral deposits. Also, the minerals in those waters can cause leaf spots to occur.

I get distilled water for 50 cents per gallon at walmart. At the grocery store a gal container of distilled water will run you about a 1 dollar. Remeber, don't just get "purified" water, get "distilled." Also, I think you can sign up for services which deliver 5 gal bottles of distilled water to your house on a regular basis. I would imagine these compainies cater to small businesses that use those little water dispensers.

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

I also just buy the stuff in jugs. I have two huge 5 gal jugs that I can refill at the grocery store for only $2 each. I go through 2 jugs a month. It's much cheaper than buying an RO unit, and I don't have to maintain any filters or anything. But Cdfortin is absolutely right: not all bottled water is good. You need to buy specifically distilled or reverse-osmosis water. You can also collect rainwater from outside, but this is not recommended in areas with lots of air pollution, or if you recently had your roof reshingled.

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

I have an under the sink RO unit. It does 2.5 gallons in about 5 hours. I probably go through a gallon per day. It was about $300, but I bought as much for me as for the terrarium. Why should my terrarium be the only thing getting non-toxic water? :)

-DH

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Now I'm getting pissed off!! I emailed and phoned Ecologic technologies and they havent responded back to me I simpley asked if they shipped out my order. I do not know how people can run a business this way. I own my own company and get over 100 phone calls a day and we respond almost immediately My next phone call tomorow will be to cancel my order.
    I found another website www.mistking.com they seem to have a better quality product than the rainmaker I'll see how that works out

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I still am unable to contact anyone at Ecologic technologies I received my rainmaker last night and the systems came with no directions, no recipt, and no warenty.
    I dont understand how can they ship out a product with over 50 parts without directions. I dont know what to do anymore.

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

Good heavens! I share your 'awe' at how anyone can run a buisness like that! Is there some kind of agency like the BBB (Better Business Bureau) that you can complain to? And are there maybe some instructions on the Internet for you? Assuming you paid with credit card, can you call your company and tell them to refund your money because you've been ripped off? Usually they offer some buyer protection for online purchases, especially if it was through PayPal. That should at least illicit a response from Ecologic technologies (if they notice/care).

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

now my water pump stoped working I only had it for 2 days

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got good news. I returned the hunk o junk rainmaker and found another company that sells misting systems.
    I bought the Pro Mist PM-60 I spoke to them on the phone and we talked for about an hour he explained to me in deitail about the system so I bought it I received it the next day It is so easy to use I put it together in about 15 minutes. The pump is self primeing and can run dry for over a week. not only this system is by far better than the rainmaker but it is absolutly silent all you hear is the mist coming out of the nozeles It sounds like the rain forest I am finally so happy now here is there web site
    http://www.pro-products.com

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

Now I want this Pro Mist system! I've had a lot of problems with my self-assembled one. Mostly with the pump not being strong enough, and the misting heads. . .

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

A friend of mine has a mobile car wash truck and he saw the pump and nozels that comes with the pro mist. He told me that they are very reliable and heavy duty and I wish I asked him for advice before I bought the rainmaker

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

now the rep from rainmaker told me that I broke the pump and that they will not refund me. so now I have to dispute it with my credit card company

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals