Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdfortin_gw

Red Eye Treefrog Problem

Cdfortin
18 years ago

Hello all: as you might know, I aquired a group of 6 baby redeye treefrogs just over a month ago (a link to pics of when I first got them is below). Let me just say that they have been a joy to keep! They are really easy to care for if you start out with a lushly planted terrarium-all I do is add food/water every other day and mist the plant leaves once in a while.

I have a problem though. 5 of the 6 frogs are fat, active, not at all shy, and have nearly doubled in size. However, my 6th is a runt or somehting. It has barely grown at all, is very very shy, and is extremely thin. Otherwise he seems healthy, but all the same it is hard to tell since he hides constantly day and night.

I am beginning to think it's a social issue. 5 of the frogs have formed a "popular" group that intimidates the 6th frog. It's actually a lot like the human world if you think about it...quite interesting. This intimidation probably causes the frog to hide all the time and not eat much food.

Needless to say, today I moved the runt into his own 10 gallon tall terrarium. Hopefully that will help?

Any ideas on the situation? I would really appreciate some...thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Original pics of the frogs.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists