Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmcat_gw

Nutritional Content of Boxelder Bugs?

jmcat
16 years ago

Do Boxelder Bugs make good food for frogs? If so, how would I go about breeding them?

Thanks,

-Jmcat

Comments (4)

• gundy600rr
    15 years ago

I wouldn't breed them to be honest, the smell and stains they leave behind would be terrible.

Instead why not look at some species of roaches to breed? I have a buddy who breeds some Discoid roaches and feeds to his poison arrow frogs.

It does take awhile to setup a colony and for them to start breeding. Not sure what frogs you are feeding but if you purchase some adults, you could feed off the nymphs.

I raise orange head roaches in a tub for my bearded dragon. Basically cleanup is easy, just shake the poop to one side and use a shop vac, then do the same to the other side. Not to mention if you raise roaches and one escapes it will die instantly.

• jmcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do you think they would work for food even if I don't breed them? It would be for a Green Tree Frog (Hyla cinerea). In your opinion, would it be worth it to breed any food for just one frog?
    Thanks,
    -Jmcat

• gundy600rr
    15 years ago

Its really up to you and how much he eats. I've got a leopard frog and I usually feed him every other day maybe even spaced out more depending how big the nymph roach(s) was. But I also have various other reptiles that need to be fed as well. For just one frog, I don't really think its worth it - unless you plan on getting more animals.

Most pet stores sell crickets by the dozen, for like .75 cents which would be another alternative to. They even come in two different sizes, small and large crickets. You should feed him prey that is no bigger then the width of his head, although you can get away with feeding them prey alittle larger - its just uncomfortable to watch; imagine how they feel!

Crickets would probably be the best bet from a pet store, and dusted with the proper supplement. I wouldn't breed crickets either, they stink terribly.

• jmcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info.
    -Jmcat