Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying a beautiful terrarium

Posted by pandemoniumg North CA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 05 at 23:33

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have advice on where to go to purchase a beautiful antique reproduction (or authentic) wardian case? I would be happy with a vintage case as well. I've seen the English Gardens site. I'm hoping to purchase a larger case that comes on a stand. I know these are very expensive, however, and may have to start with something smaller.

I live near San Francisco, so if you know of any stores in the Bay ARea that sell terrariums please let me know. Otherwise, websites would be great, but any leads would be helpful.

Cheers! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying a beautiful terrarium

I saw a very nice one at The Bombay Company. Insanely expensive though! Of course it will go on sale at some point, but still, I think it was $600. That's Canadian, but even so, it's still too much to pay for something that size (and that quality. Trust me, I used to work there), so I wouldn't buy it. I think that someone on the orchids forum got two very nice Wardian Cases at Sam's Club. They were nice and big, and very cheap. You could also get one custom-made by your local stained-glass artist (no need to use stained glass though; it looks pretty, but only blocks light).

o

• Posted by ddot zn1/2 OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 3:33

Hey,
At a risk of creating a rival, check out ebay. Type in "terrarium" in the search---great items, no bidders. All types of cases including gothic, big aquariums, books, you name it. If I had the money I'd be in heaven:) Good luck!!
ddot

o

I forgot about eBay! Do check them out, as someone on here got two very nice Wardian Cases on eBay. Shipping might be prohibitively expensive for a large case, but you never know!

o

I bought a beautiful terrarium/stand with levels similar to the one that the lady who had the orchids from Sams Club. I love it. I won it on Ebay with FREE shipping. Check out Ebay.
Theresa

o

Visit the indoor plant section at www.smithandhawken.com

o

Definitely check out ebay.. below is the type that I and a few other people got at Sam's Club for $40-$50.. but they don't carry it anymore... so that leads to ebay... where they are making a nice return.. even when they have "free shipping"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42153&item=4376693745&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

This is my set up with the sam's club versin on the left.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here