Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sources for terrarium containers?

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 23:45

I saw a terrarium advertised somewhere and can't find the source again. The one I saw was a flat, clear container with the opening on the side, approx 12" x 15" x ~8"H. It kind of resembled a flat pillow. Does anyone know where something like this can be found? It was very simple, and really appealed to me.

Thanks!

--Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sources for terrarium containers?

I pick mine up on ebay, flea markets, etc. You can also look online at drsfostersmith.com etc.

o

I just bought a big (11" x 13") clear glass jar with decorative lid at Target for $14.99

o

Target also has a very pretty egg glass vase that shows off the plants and gives adequate surface area for three low growing plants around a larger upright plant..plus rocks and driftwood (Pottery Barn...and I looked everywhere else for it)

o

I looked around the house and found a few things...Fishbowls, and I even found a large candle container, which I'm using for moss..

o

Thrift stores are also a great source for containers.

o

I'm with salvage_queen. I have a Goodwill about 2 miles from my house and all their price tags are in 1 of 4 or 5 different colors. Each week, 1 color if 50% off. And on the following Sun. & Mon, anything in that color that is still on the shelves drops to $1.29 ! I've been shopping for terrarium containers there & got some great stuff for cheap. I almost regret it is so close to home - I'm becoming addicted and constantly have to talk myself out of stuff!

I've started collecting Gesneriads, especially those small enough for terrariums. Before long, I hope to have micro-mini Sinningias to swap for other terrarium plants.

o

I believe Terrain carries a container similar to the one you are describing but the dimensions are 12 x 12 x 4 (so maybe a little thinner). The Terrarium Shoppe also carries some good terrarium containers.

o

I recently got one from an online store. Check them out. They have really neat glass terrariums.

Here is a link that might be useful: HPotter Terrariums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here