Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving White Dots?!!

Posted by Cdfortin GA (fortind89@yahoo.com) on
Sun, May 1, 05 at 0:18

Today I was checking on my RETF terrarium and noticed several tiny white organisms that look like miniscule grains of sand. They were moving about the interior of the viv and even on the outside glass. What are these things? Are they harmful to amphibs/plants/reptiles? Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving White Dots?!!

I have these, too. They appear to be completely harmless. I seemed to get a population explosion of them when I first set up my terrarium, but it gradually stabilized, and now I only see them if I dig something up or move something. They seem to prefer a certain piece of driftwood that is constantly moist and growing a bit of mold on it. I wouldn't worry about them. I was told that they're probably harmless, and who knows? Maybe animals would even eat them! I'd only get concerned if you notice them crawling all over your frogs and if the frogs seem to not like it and are unable to get rid of them.

o
RE: Moving White Dots?!!

They are mites. They look for places with high humidity and food. I get them on occaission in my tarantula enclosures. Fortunately, I have the option of letting everything dry out and the population drops/disappears. You can purchase predatory mites(Phytoseiulus persimilis[good]/Hypaspis miles[better]) that will clean them up if it becomes a major problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here