Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gigi51_gw

starting a terrarium with critters

gigi51
15 years ago

Hi....I want to start a terrarium in a 10 gal. fish tank. I want plants and some live critters. Besides frogs, what other critters can I put in it? I already have a 10 gal. tank set up with carnivirous plants. Thanks.

Glenda

Comments (4)

• terrestrial_man
    15 years ago

OK AGAIN CHECK THE LINK!!

Here is a link that might be useful: VIVARIUMS

• gigi51
    Original Author
    15 years ago

my husband brought home from the golf course a turtle. he found it on the golf course just walking around... its just a baby IT IS as round as a 50 cent piece. his color is dark green and lime green with all kinds of swigley circles. help me identify and what do I feed it? its in my cp terrarium. is this a H2O turtle or a dry land turtle? he is so cute.....i don't want to kill it.....what does it eat???? what do I need to do????? thank you, thank you......
    glenda

• terrestrial_man
    15 years ago

Try googling turtle and the name of your state for links
    Also check out the link below.
    In many states you cannot remove a turtle even on a golf course (just move it out of harm's way) without having a valid and current fishing license or a reptile license.
    Also check out turtle societies as there may be one near you.
    In a pinch find a store that sells live bait and get some earthworms or grubs-mealworms may be available at a pet shop but these may not be taken by the little turtle-get the worms!!! And good luck-TURTLES ARE COOL!
    Also do not keep in a terrarium. Got a large pan with straight walls that it cannot climb out of. Put in a deep layer of sand and a large bowl with a large rock that it can climb out on if it enters the water. Put in a partially sunny spot where there is some direct sun during the day as turtles need sunlight for their shells to develop correctly.
    Check out the forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turtle forum

• gundy600rr
    15 years ago

As mentioned above turtles need exposure to UVB/A light. A common pet store will have a reptile light that would work. Most if not all turtles need a basking lamp as well, where they can get out of the water and completely dry off to avoid shell issues ( aquatic turtles ).

From the description it could be a painted, or red eared slider. Does it have red markings, where its 'ears' would be? If so thats an aquatic turtle. Since it he was wild caught, the idea of getting worms or something at a bait shop would work. But to avoid any pathogens from bait shops, most pet stores sell crickets ( a dozen for like .75 cents ) which he will devour. Turtles are messy eaters, if it is indeed an aquatic turtle, make sure you have the proper filtration or siphon the tank weekly. You should also dust the crickets with some sort of Vitamin dust to provide proper nutrients. Just go to your local pet store and ask for some info, they'll direct you in the right place.

Do some research, you can google both Red Eared sliders, and painted turtles and come up with alot of websites that will provide information. Just make sure to provide the proper lighting requirements so you don't get any shell fungus.