Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nil13

NOID: hitchhiker

nil13
9 years ago

Does anyone know what the mushroon shaped plant is? It came in as a hitchhiker from that little piece of fern which I got from the Huntington Plant Sale. Sorry about the glare.

Comments (17)

• 2h1o
    9 years ago

Interesting! I cannot help you with an id, but because all mushrooms are fungi maybe someone that specializes with 'fungi' could chime in.

I've had them pop up from time to time in my terrariums. They were short lived and disappeared within a day or two. I've been told that mushrooms are usually a good sign of a healthy terrarium. From my understanding, the mushroom plays a similar role to a flower (the fruit of that fungi) sometimes releasing spores and starting the cycle all over again.

What kind of moss/mosses are you growing in the photo?

• nil13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's not fungi. It's photosynthetic, long lived, no gills....

The moss looks like sphagnum.

• 2h1o
    9 years ago

Hmmm... the stem and cap in the photo definitely fooled me ~ the reason for my mushroom guess... it's hard to see any detailed close-ups from your photo. You mentioned "no gills" above. From my understanding not all mushrooms have gills.

I'm a bit confused about "it's photosynthetic", especially since most plants (including mushrooms & fungi) are photosynthetic. Could be wrong (and I definitely learn when my wrongs are pointed out)), but I thought the only two groups of plants that are non-photosynthetic consist of myco-heteophytes and holopararasitic plants.

If you figure out what the NOID plant is, please let us know. Your moss appears to be very healthy!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Peperomia andina?

• nil13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Asleep, that looks pretty close. These don't have the subtle lobing and vaselike nature of the P. andina pics I have seen but that could easily be a culture difference. The stems look right though. At the very least, it's a starting point.

O2, mushrooms and fungi are not plants and are not photosynthetic. This is a nice almost iridescent green. Plenty of chlorophyll there.

• nil13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have definitely locked down the genus. I think the species is not andina as I have seen 3-4 other Peperomia pics that look a bit closer.

Thanks Asleep.

• nil13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic from the terrarium opening without the glare.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Hey thank YOU!
    Please let us know where your search takes you.
    Drop some names so we can look 'em up on image searches.
    It would be interesting to have a bunch of little umbrellas with subtle differences all under glass,wouldn't it?

Peps are such ideal terrarium plants! :)

• nil13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just sent some images ti the curator of the Huntington tropical collection. He is the one most likely to positively id it sibce he knows what is floating around the greenhouse.

Will let you know.

• 2h1o
    9 years ago

Nil ~ thanks for the clarification and correction. Beautiful color in your second photo. Definitely a plant that has caught my attention.

Asleep ~ you truly deserve a compliment and 'kudos' for your genus ID!

Looking forward to what you find out from the curator.

• nil13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went through this list and after seeing 6-7 similar species I decided to call in the pros. Lol. Fantastic pics here though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peperomia gallery

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Thanks O2! :)

Nil,
    That is some nice looking list there.
    Pretty pictures!

Any updates yet?

Inquiring minds and all that. lol

• paul_
    9 years ago

I, too, will be very interested to hear what it turns out to be.

• nil13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I still don't have an ID yet, but I do have a new pic with a flower. Yay!

• nil13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Duplicate post

This post was edited by nil13 on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 15:54

• 2h1o
    9 years ago

Did the Huntington curator ever respond to your inquiry?

• nil13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nope