Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting rid of mineral deposits on old tank

Posted by Violetrehabber 5a IL (ma1bird5digest@aol.com) on
Tue, May 25, 04 at 19:49

Do any of you know how to get rid of the white mineral deposits that are on old tanks? We were able to pick up a 55 gallon with some stuff for $35!! But it has lot of deposits that I would like to get rid of.

There are things that you can purchase to do it but I am certain there is some low tech way to do it.

Thanks in advance!!

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting rid of mineral deposits on old tank

Just about any acidic liquid should work. Vinegar, lemon juice, 7-up, sprite, Mt. Dew, etc. However if you use a soft drink you might want to get "diet" as the sugar could cause issues.

go with vinegar

o

Hi
Best stuff I've ever seen is Lime Away.Made for removing lime deposits.Vinegar will work but this stuff will do it with a third the effort
If the tank has been setting empty for a long time they can really be tough to remove.
Gary

o

I would be worried about any residue from the Lime Away. I use vinegar and it works great, even diluted. Just fill your tank up with water and vinegar and leave it to soak, perhaps overnight. Then just dump the water out, give it a bit of a scrub and a rinse, and viola! Sparkly clean tank! With a tank that size you probably want to do all this in the bathtub.

o

Thanks so much.

I was thinking it was vinegar but I wasn't sure.

Lisa

o

there is a product that works better than vinegar and claims to leave no toxic residue. i even used to spray it on a paper towl and use it above the water line when i raised angelfish. i also understand that you have to be careful using vinegar. if you are still interested, go th "mypage" and send an email. i can't remember the name right now.

o

it is called "safe and easy" and comes in a spray bottle. if nothing is in the tank, spray on and let it sit for awhile. it really is safe and easy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here