Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Costa Rican Plant IDs?

Posted by Cdfortin GA (fortind89@yahoo.com) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 23:37

Hello all-I have some detective work for you! When I was in Costa Rica a few weeks back I took pics of some plants I thought would look good in a terrarium. Problem is, now I can't really identify them. If anyone has any ideas on names...especially IDs for the bromeliads and groundcover in the 1st pic, that would be great. Thanks!!!

Danny

Here is a link that might be useful: Costa Rica Plant Pics-unknown ID's

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Costa Rican Plant IDs?

One of them is an antherium of sorts - the one with the big heart-shaped leaves (the vine). Although I do not know the exact species of antherium. You can pick those up at a local greehouse.

-Brian

o
RE: Costa Rican Plant IDs?

The broms with the variegated leaves (bars of dark and light green) are probably vriesias. They will get a sword-shaped bract/flower spike. The flatter broms with pink or red centres, and the smaller ones beside them (in the first pic) are neos. I think the full name is neoreglia. It would be almost impossible to identify the exact cultivar names, so you'll just have to look around at garden centres and on the Internet for others that you like.

Picture #2 looks like it could be a wandering jew. Normally they are purple and silver, but if grown in lower light, they will be green and silver.

Picture #4 is a tree fern of some kind. Not a staghorn. Looks a bit like asplendum nidus (sp? Bird's Nest fern), but not quite like it.

I don't know what the others are. Check the link below for lots of fern pics. They also sell them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fern Factory

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here