Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My little Ecosystem

Posted by vance71975 Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 17:12

Hey all, i just wild collected some moss from around a pond in a wildlife area( no spraying of any kind is done there) and here is the deal, i have a Tank not a fancy set up but it works for 3 frogs and 3 toads that i have, until today when i collected the moss there was really nothing in the tank but some potting soil, and a little coconut fiber material under that. i am wondering if this moss will grow ok on the dirt? its the kind of moss you find on dead logs and tree bases in NW Ohio not sure of what kind it is, its a flat green moss. i have been on a bunch of sites today that say an acid heavy soil is best and one even said urine heavy soil, which 3 toads and 3 frogs will produce a fair amount of. any advice ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My little Ecosystem

Lycopodium clavatum looks identical to the moss i have in my little ecosystem, not sure that it is but it looks like it. any tips, tricks for making sure it grows well? to be honest i am hoping it helps to combat the smell that the soil is giving off. Due to now 6 in the tank and there bowel movement and urine.

o
RE: My little Ecosystem

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 30, 07 at 12:52

Can't help you there, Vance. For moss sources, have you checked with the moss forum? They might know.

Whatever you find out, report back here & let us know. : ) Good luck in your search!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here