Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
komi_gw

have micro mini sinningia seeds

komi
19 years ago

There's no exchange page here, so....

I have more micro mini sinningia seeds - Rio das Pedras. They have a light pink sort of flower. Black Jungle has a nice picture of a setup. I have them in a traditional peat-based potting mix.

Mine grown from seed are just blooming - I think it's been about 4 months, maybe less.

If anyone wants seeds, send me an e-mail.

Comments (29)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Oo, ooooooo! Me! Emailing you now. . .

• komi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

hey, sahoy.... I sent you e-mail back - did you get it? I need and address to send to.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Yes I got your email. I forgot to check my email this week, as I usually don't get any interesting emails (from real people). Oops! I emailed you now though. Can't wait to get seeds! =) You're a wonderful person. =)

• komi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

If you haven't heard from me already, your seeds are going out tomorrow. I am now out of harvested seeds - more will be ripe in a couple of weeks, so you can still e-mail me if you are interested.

Here's some basic info:

Seeds should be sown on the surface of a shallow layer (1/2-1 inch or so is good) of a fine peat mix. I usually amend with fine perlite. Do not cover the seeds, and keep moist, warm, humid and mildly bright for germination. I have good success in a terrarium under fluorescent lights. Because the roots are so shallow, and the plant so tiny, potting up seedlings is difficult  thus itÂs better if you take care to spread out the seeds when sowing. Germination has taken 1-6 weeks. Continue to grow them in a terrarium (or at least a semi-enclosed space). They do not need (or want) fertilizer, but if youÂre impatient, FYI I have fertilized with 1/20th strength seaweed fertilizer... with no ill effects.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Got my seeds today; thanks Komi! Will sow them tonight. . .

• tiGG
    19 years ago

thank you so very much for the seeds!!

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Sowing those seeds was one of the most difficult and time-consuming things I've ever done in my life! You weren't kidding when you said they were tiny! Wow! I hope they germinate after all that. . . A magnifying glass would have been handy! I had to moisten the tip of my fingernail, touch it to a seed, and then try to touch the seed to some soil and make it stick to that and not my fingernail. How long-lived are these plants? I don't really want to go through this again. . . but it will all be worth it in the end! =)

• komi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

lol Sah. - from what I've seen, the micro sinn seeds are about average for gessies. I have some that are even smaller - GHA sent them to me with a note saying "tiny seeds" and they meant it in comparison to other gessie seeds, not beans!

• plantman532000
    19 years ago

Hi Ki,

I got the seeds and have planted some already. I can't wait till they begin to grow! Thanks so much!!!

John

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

No germination yet, but I do have moss growing on the surface of the soil. =) Anyone else have any results yet?

• komi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

too much moss is bad :( No germination yet is also not good. (I sowed seeds more recently and plants are up.)

Enough light? Warmth? Humidity? Did you surface sow?

I just snagged a few more seeds, so I can send more if you want. You could be callous and dump them somewhere in your terr and maybe they'll just sprout. Email me your address again.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

It is warm, very humid, and quite bright in my propagation terrarium (where the seeds are growing in a large pot), and I did surface-sow. I'll wait and see, but i would appreciate more seeds if you really think these won't grow. I'll email you.

• komi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I suppose too much humidity might also be a possibility, although I don't know for sure. For eg, the ones I've sown in itsy bitsy jars have not done as well as the ones placed in larger areas like under a prop dome. Got your email and will send out seeds next week.

• Van_in_NYC
    19 years ago

Yaay - found a rectangular acrylic storage container (quart-size?)- you know the ones, the top one-third comes off... Put a layer of gravel, then soil, then TEENY TINY seeds... Kept it moist, but not soaking... Just under two weeks and today, germination! Thank you Ki.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

My soil was probably too wet. Will try keeping it drier this next time.

Van: thanks for the idea about the container! I've got a clear plastic one right now that has blueberries in it, and I'll save it when I've eaten all the berries. It even has little vents in it so the soil won't stay too moist.

• komi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

...Sa - I haven't mailed the seeds to you yet. I kept forgetting to bring them home, and then when I did, I forgot to take them out and they ended up at work again.... agghh. I will get them out soon.

Any one else with germination problems, shoot me a line.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I do have one tiny 'something' that has germinated. I don't know what it is yet, but perhaps it will be a sinningia. . . I'm hoping! The moss is still doing very well. . . =)

• ladybug_guam
    19 years ago

Hi Komi!
    Sent you and e-mail.....
    Thanks!
    Ana :)

• komi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm digging this thread up because I posted a pic of seedlings in the gesneriad gallery. (I *did* try to spread out the seeds when I sowed them.) Jon D then provided some background info, which you might find interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic in the gessie gallery

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Nice! So far it's been two weeks since I sowed the second batch of seed you sent me. No moss growing on the surface of the soil yet, so that's good. I can see tiny little specks of something spread irratically over the soil (I wasn't so careful in spacing them this time) that i couldn't see when I first sowed the seed, so I'm hoping that it is the tiny seeds all nicely moisturized and soon germinating. . . patience grasshopper! =)

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

Komi do you have seed for the Sinningia ..... I fail with many houseplants but have luck with geseneraids...... I would love some seeds..... I am very good at sowing seeds I'm sure I could get a few to grow..... would you like SASE or would you like to trade...... I have a trade list....... :)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Well I'll be! I have never had problems growing things from seed before, but these just aren't even germinating! Nothing but moss, again. I'm going to wait longer, but I am discouraged. =( Is there some trick, like a cold period? Don't bother sending more seeds, Komi, and thank you for your generosity. I will try to find a local source and figure out what I'm doing wrong. . .

• komi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Flowersandthings - I'll send you e-mail in a bit.

For anyone else who picks up on this thread, we seem to have hit a slow period on seed production. Not even any blooms in the very near future. :( I have 3 people on the wait list already, so I don't think I can take anymore for now.

sahoy-no clue whatsoever. These are some of the easier gessie seeds I have germinated. Definitely no cold period, lol. You have it warm, lowish medium light, and you've cut back on the water/humidity. All *should* be well....

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I know! I can't figure it out! *crossing fingers and hoping something good happens soon*

• mahnoo51
    15 years ago

BE PATIENT EVERYBODY! Some of the micro-minis can take a month to germinate. If you get algae or mold, spray the soil surface lightly with some lysol spray (or equivalent). Incidently, those little plastic boxes that "Ferrar Rochere" chocolates come in are great prop boxes and as a bonus, you get to eat the chocolates while you are waiting for your little seedlings to come up.

• sgmd
    15 years ago

I have a bunch of micros but have to rely on dumb luck to get babies from self-seeding plants.

How do you harvest the seeds? I can't tell when it's ready for harvest. And if i leave it too long, the pods get covered in fungi.

LOL! Iike your idea about Ferrar Rochere chocolates as part of your propagation technique. :-)

• dirtmonkey
    15 years ago

Shireen I pinch the seed pods lightly and snip off the stem with some tiny scissirs I have (I think they were from a sewing kit, they look like a bird with a long sharp beak for blades - perfect for working with microminis). I do that as soon as they start to turn brown, then fold them in paper to dry out.

Linda that's funny about the chocolates box, I've been using the same brand as seed trays too! Been looking for their big pyramid shaped one again, it made a fun display for several full grown micros.

Vincent

• susansparrowhawk
    14 years ago

Do you still have micro mini sinningia seeds? I am a day late and a dollar short..lol..I am new to this forum. I am also looking for sinningia concinna seeds and pusilla.

thanks so much

• Alina Kareva
    7 years ago

Do you have more seeds mini sinningia seeds?

I'd like to try to sow)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor