Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New terrarium - not sure what to grow

Posted by Karyn963 9 So Cal (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 22:20

I have taken a 39 gallon aquarium and turned it into a terrarium. I have a layer of gravel topped with charcoal, sphagnum and then potting soil. It is not in a sunny location but gets indirect sun and I put the aquarium top back on with the light.

Any help would be appreciated. I planted a creeping Charlie and ficus both rooting from cuttings and they died.

Thank You.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New terrarium - not sure what to grow

Dear Karyn963,
What fun! 39 gallons to play with! For north-window-character light/part shade and good humidity I’ve had good luck with
1. miniature begonia for some height; there are also vining ones (check out the choices at violetbarn.com and blackjungleterrariumsupply.com). The one I have is Begonia dregei “maple-leaved begonia”: it can be pruned as needed and grown as a pseudo-bonsai to provide a small tree for your terrarium landscape). When allowed to grow it makes lots of white flowers.
2. mosses! Definitely. Go for the carpeting forms (pleurocarps) that grow on the ground in shady places. Literally. Get several kinds from your backyard.
3. ferns! Definitely. With the size of your tank you’ll have lots of options. The ones I’ve used in much smaller terraria than you have are Lemmaphyllum microphyllum (bean fern; I got both forms of it), Selaginella kraussiana “Brownii” (pincushion spikemoss), Asplenium x ebenoides (dragon tail fern), and Microgramma heterophylla. Ones on my to-try list are Nephrolepsis exaltata “Elzevir” and button fern (Nephrolepsis Dufii or the different version available at glasshouseworks.com). Also check out rareferns.com, blackjungleterrariumsupply.com, and glasshouseworks.com for others.
4. micro-mini Sinningia pusilla. Should bloom for you: totally sweet and amazingly robust.

Check out the many other terrarium plants offered by the sites I’ve mentioned above and note ones you like that have similar light and water needs to the other plants you have. Pay attention also to the mature size to be sure they won’t outgrow your space.

Have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here