Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug_guam

Need help finding plants .....

ladybug_guam
19 years ago

I'm at the end of my rope! Trying to get some miniature plants and seems like I'm asking for the moon :(

Tried Black Jungle, no shipping to Guam, tried many others, same story, so, I NEED to find a vendor in Hawaii. I have Googled for hours with no succes. Anybody out there from Hawaii that may know a vendor???? PLEASE! I'm desperate...got most of my terrarium set up, but only have few plants.

Thank you!

Ana

Comments (14)

• garyfla_gw
    19 years ago

Hi
    Afraid I can't help you much but have you thought about seeds?? There's not nearly as many restrictions on them at least here in Florida. There are many suppliers on the web
    but have no idea about shipping to your location.Some of the SE Asian suppliers have fantastic lists.
    Gary

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you, Gary!
    I have one more place in New York that may be ok, if not, I'll try finding seeds.
    Ana :)

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

dragonthoughts:
    No, what I'm looking for is miniature plants, not regular plants that are small but will get large.
    Thanks.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

check this out, Ana. They ship anywhere in the world, you just might need a phyto. I'm going to order from them soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rob's mini plants

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

sahoyaref:
    Thank you! However, they are in Yew York, I ordered from them and they shipped it on July 20th....when I called, Rob was very nice and confirmed the day the shipped.... still waiting for them.... the problems is, and that's why I want to get somebody in Hawaii, is that Hawaii doesn't like the competition from the mainland on plants ship to Guam, so they see the package that indicates 'live plants' and hold the shipping so the plants arrived dead. I have another shipment from California coming, is been a week and nothing... however, had a friend send me some in a box with no label, and they arrived in 4 days.
    I order a lot of stuff from the mainland and it all comes within 4 to 5 days...ordered the lights for the terrarium and they came in 4 days, shipping's are all the same USPS Priority Mail, so, as you can see, I have to 'conform to their wishes' and order from them or nothing. GGGRRRRRRR!
    Ana

• dragonthoughts
    19 years ago

Sorry the links were no help. Perhaps if you e-mailed them and asked they could put you in touch with someone?
    Have you tried the plant/seed exchange here in gardenweb? I'm sure many people would be interested in some of your local flora.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I can't believe that hawaii would be so petty! That is ridiculous!!!! I don't think anyone on this forum is all that familiar with Hawaiian vendors. Maybe ask on the orchids forum?

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

sahoyaref:
    Please see my post: "WOW! You have to see this!"
    Ana :)))))

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I saw that! Awesome!

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Hi,

Maybe this is a simplistic solution that you have already considered. Have you thought of having Rob send some plants to your friend and then have your friend send them to you in an unmarked box?

Larry

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Larry:
    Check my thread "WOW ! You have to see this!"
    I finally got them, all in excellent conditions! there's a pic of them on that thread.
    Thank you for the thought!

• nathanhurst
    19 years ago

Could the problem be quarantine? Hawaii doesn't have a good track record with weed species and maybe they are checking them carefully for pests? Would it be worth giving them a ring and ask what's taking so long?

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

NathanHurst:
    No, they don't check them, all the have to do is transfer the box to another plane, we have our own agriculture dept. checking them, see, when the box arrives, they call me, tell me at what time the inspector will be there, I go, they open the box check them, (usually just one plant or two and that's all, because they know me and the phyto certificate is attached to the outside of the box) Hawaii doesn't do that for us.