Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug_guam

How to photograph a terrarium?

ladybug_guam
19 years ago

I'm having a hard time trying to take a picture of my terrarium. The flash shows on the glass and diffuses the details. Does anybody know how to take a pic without reflection of the flash?

Thank you!

Ana :)

Comments (14)

• Poul
    19 years ago

Don't use a flash. ;)

Use one or several strong lamp(s) instead and point them into the terr from angles that don't reflect directly towards the camera. A bit more work but sometimes the only way to get a good shot.

/Poul

• macropora
    19 years ago

Can you shoot from inside your tank? On a few of my tanks i have looked through the tank glass into my view finder (camara being in the tank). I needed a extra set of hands, but with the help of my wife i got the shots i was looking for.
    Mac

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I don't use the flash. If your camera always uses a flash, try covering it with something. The lighting over the tank is nearly always sufficient for good detail, so I'm not sure why some cameras think they need the flash (my camera is even one of those fancy SLRs, and it still thinks it needs the flash!). Make sure the glass is nice and clean, too. I only use RO water, so you'd think there wouldn't be any marks on the tank glass, but there are, because of tiny bits of dirt splashing up when I mist the tank.

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you all for your replies.
    sahoyaref:
    You are right. I also have a new digital and had problems taking pics of my paintings, till I took them outside and they came out great!... however, can't do that with the terrarium... need a crane to lift it! I'll cover the flash, 'cause mine seems to 'think' the same way your does.
    Thanks for the info on clean glass and RO water... never thought of that.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

You paint too, eh? I always take my paintings outside to photograph them. Using the flash just screws the colours up too much and makes them look crappy.

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yeah! I've tried all kind of angles and there was always a flash on them, till somebody at the orchid forum told me to take them outside.. duhhhh!
    So, what do you paint? I do landscapes and flowers.
    Here's a couple of them

Here is a link that might be useful: two paintings

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I paint still lifes with flowers, as well as chinese/japanese ink brush paintings. I don't have any digi pics right now, and I really haven't had time to paint in a couple years, ever since I got pregnant! =) I was in University taking a Fine Arts degree in painting, but I only finished two years.
    I really like your paintings! That landscape can't be from Guam though. =) Beautiful sky in that one, and you use colour so well. I have trouble being adventurous with colour (or with anything, really), so my paintings can be a bit boring sometimes. I really have to think about it. Maybe that's why I'm well suited to black ink. =)

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I don't think I could use the ink technique, that requires lots of talent, mine comes from my Dad, he was a very good painter, I used to spend a lot of time watching him paint, I never took classes for it, one day I just started and it kind of came naturally.
    I have started on one (for me) with orchids. Painted many of those for friends and relatives, but never got around painting one for me, so now it's my turn to have one LOL!
    I just started taking pictures of them, silly me, never done it before..... OH well, oh, you can go to my page and find some more craft I do is under 'my craft'
    Ps: no, the landscaping with snow is just to look at when it gets really hot here LOL!

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I love your painted glass! I've been really wanting to try this. Is it difficult? I mean because the glass is slippery. What paints do you use? I've seen the ones for painting on glass at Michaels, do you use those? Are they good?

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

sahoyaref:
    Sorry for taking so long in answering...when you are typing away, I'm asleep, difference in time.
    Yes, I buy them from Michaels when I go to California. I use "Gallery Glass" and the Deco Art "Liquid Rainbow" Now, there is a secret to this type of painting: you don't do it directly on the glass, there are these transparent very stiff plastic sheets, they look like glass, some times I use a glass pane, outline what you want to paint on them with the liner usually black carried by "Gallery Glass", if is grapes, outline every grape, roses, outline every petal, you get the picture, then fill it with the liquid paint, mixing, or not, colors. let it dry for 24 hours, then clean the glass surface where you want you painted object to be, with Isopropyl Alcohol, remove your painting from glass, I started with a razor and very carefully peel it off and place the painting on vase, glass, etc., press and done! I usually after placing it, add a coat of Crystal glaze.
    There are many booklets about this technique at Michael's, is fun and looks really nice.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

No way! i would never have guessed that it is that complicated! Not difficult, really, but time-consuming. I'd still like to try it eventually though. Good thing you told me about it! Thanks!

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

LOL!!!!
    Wellll......time I got!!!!!!
    I haven't done any in a while, I think it was 2 Xmas ago when I painted few for presents for my family and some friends. They see mine and kind of hint they would like to have some, so... it's easier than try to guess what to get them :)

• brooz
    19 years ago

If the glass is smudged, wet it and wipe it dry with a coffee filter (trick used by bartenders).

Here is a link that might be useful: If you catch an image of yourself in the photo ... post it here.

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you, brooz, that is a good trick, also thanks for the link, very interesting!

Sponsored
DB Landscape Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Beautiful & Functional Landscape Designs in Franklin County