Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropichris

species of large leafed plants for terrarium?

tropichris
13 years ago

Hello:

I have some green and red eyed tree frogs in my terrarium and need some large leafed plants for them to climb on. The soil is a mixture of orchid bark, potting soil, peat moss, cut up dead leaves, sphagnum, and play sand, with a false bottom. The terrarium's dimensions are 18"H x 18" D x 24" W. The lighting is one T12 UVA and UVB lamp for reptiles, one UVA heat lamp also designed for reptiles. The lights in the room it is in are also on 85% of the day and the vivarium is right next to an east facing window. As of plants I was thinking Alocasia species...I've tried A. "Polly" in the past but rot was always an issue. Anybody know what plants might work? I have some pictures on here somewhere titled "pictures of my new terrarium" if you want to get an idea of what it looks like... I have updated the cage a lot since then but the lighting, position, and background have remained the same.

~Chris

P.S. I was also trying to get moss to grow on driftwood in the terrarium. I keep the driftwood wet and have some sheet moss from my yard in one corner of the terrarium. Anybody know of any species of moss/selag that would work, and how to get it to grow on drift wood?

Comments (2)