Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug_guam

Question about lights

ladybug_guam
19 years ago

Hello! I'm new posting in this forum.... been lurking for a long time.

I had terrariums most of my life, but since we moved to Guam, got involved in large tropicals, orchids, etc, and now I'm setting up a terrarium. Got a fish tank, 29 gallons, I will be planting 'intermediate light' plants. It will be by a window facing north and I'm starting to worry that the lights I bought, ( 2 setups with 1 full spectrum natural light (Vita-Lite) each 20 watt, 24" long) won't be enough since I'm planning to basically cover the back facing the window... I looked all over Guam for higher watts, but, here, not too many people are into terrariums and the need for importing these types of lightings is not here.

Could somebody tell me if it'll be enough? do I need to get more set ups? Ordering fluorescent lights from the mainland is cost prohibited, they charge anywhere from $75 to $100 in shipping, since is glass.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ana :)

Comments (8)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I don't think that will be enough light, but it does depend on what you mean my 'intermediate light plants'. I say I have a low light tank, but what I really mean is low light for ORCHIDS. Almost all other plants would find this to be intermediate to high light. So if you will be growing orchids (which I doubt, since you live in Guam and can grow pretty much anything outside), then it won't be enough light. So what do you want to grow? And why do you want a terrarium in Guam? Certainly not to keep the humidity up. =)
    Do you really not have compact fluorescents in Guam? They aren't designed for terrariums, but for normal houselamps, for people who want a high light output that uses less watts than an incandescent. You could probably pick some up just about anywhere if you ever come to the States.

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

sahoyaref:
    Thank you for answering. No, I won't be growing orchids in it, I always had terrariums, love miniature plants.
    I have gone to aquarium, pet store places, never dong on me to go to K-Mart for them.... duuhhhhh!!!!!
    I like a terrarium for the beauty of it.
    Here's a pic of one of my first ones. The pic is very old so is not very clear, as you can see, it was a very simple one, later I graduated to ones with back drops, waterfalls, etc..... I miss them and would like to make one, I will be going to the hardware's stores and K-Mart, if not, I'll get some on my next trip to California.
    I let you know how it turned out :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Terrarium

• mrbreeze
    19 years ago

wow that's realy nice. I like it a lot. I'm really starting to get the fever again now that its been a few months since I moved. I still have too many #$%@ boxes unpacked in the garage to REALLY get started... but your pic is inspiring.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

i love that terrarium! Are the purple-flowered plants streptocarpus? If so, how did you grow them in a terr. when they need to dry out between waterings? And what is that little animal on the yellow rock/mushroom thing? Very beautiful terr. . . you've given me inspiration for mine!

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for your nice comments!
    Mr. Breeze:
    I really enjoy working with little, tiny things, plants, craft, paintings, etc, not to say that I don't like floofy orchids, LOL!
    I'm not going to be able to build one with great plants, since last night I ordered tons from Black Jungle and they informed me that they can't ship to Guam due to not having an inspector for the Phyto Certificate... I was devastated! But, I order many from "Rob's African Violet" and keeping my fingers cross. :)
    sahoyaref:
    Yes, they are from the streptocarpus family, if I recalled correctly, the white was Saxorum and I think the purple was Maasens (not sure).
    I had them all in 2" pots and seldom water them. Stop using them when I started with the waterfalls and water features.
    Here is a close up of the bird that was in it, also stop using it due to mold on feathers due to high humidity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird

• dufrene
    19 years ago

sahoyaref:

in your post, are you suggesting that the everyday, 23-watt compact fluorescents that you would use in a reading light in your home to save electricity are also good lights to use to grow plants indoors? thanks.

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

sahoyaref:
    Well, went to K-Mart, and all the lighting places around here, no luck, they have the lights but not the hoods. So, I ordered from Drs. Foster and Smith Pet supplies and I'll have them in a week, should of done that from the start... live and learn!
    All I'm waiting for are the plants from "Rob's African Violet" and I'm not holding my breath..they tell me the shipped them on July 20th...they'll be carcasses when they get here, I never have this problem, always the plants I order come in 4 to 5 days max..... I think they mailed regular instead of 'USPS Priority" as I asked them to. We'll see...still keeping my fingers crossed :)
    Ana

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

If you have a problem with your plants from Rob's, Ana, just tell them. I think that they are reputable enough to do something about it (unless they can prove that the fault was at your custom's, in which case I think most growers will claim no responsibility).

Dufrene: yes, that is exactly what I am suggesting. =) The key is to buy cool white or 'Daylight' ones, and the higher the watts, the better. You also can't use a single compact fluo. to grow a large palm or any other large plant. When used in sufficient quantities, many small, low-light plants can be grown under them, when placed close enough to the bulb. Farther than 24 inches (from the bulb to the base of the plant) does no good at all. But if you want to grow some plants in a small north window, you could successfully grow them if you add a few cf's above them.