Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New type of terrarium?

Posted by zdufran 7 (zach@zachandchristie.com) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 10:54

I am thinking of starting a terrarium with a different design from anything I have seen before. I assume that someone has done it before though and just wondering if anyone is aware of this style. Takashi Amano is a plant and aquarium enthusiast that made the planted "nature aquarium" famous. Sometimes these designs are very simple and are smaller versions of nature scenes (Iwagumi-style). You can see a picture here:
http://aqua-pets.com.tw/aquapets/images/aq-pic/e-26/260101.jpg

Similarly, the art of bonsai trees are usually very simple with a center focus on a single element, usually with a nice green moss surface to emulate a larger picture of nature on a very small scale. Here's an example: http://www.trapagon.com/dig-img/D2x/Bonsai_0071.jpg

This is what I would like to do with a terrarium. Rather than the common terrarium style that is very full and lush, I would like to create a small terrarium that highlights a single plant, surrounded by a rock or two and a "field" of moss. Has anyone done this before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New type of terrarium?

Hi
Don't see why not . The great thing about terrariums is they can be or not whatever you want..IMO it's alway better to have a "theme " where you try to emulate a natural scene.whether tropical, temperate or whatever. Amano and the Dutch methods have turned these into works of art.
Have seen single orchids growing on driftwood , flue pipe
mineral specimens or even skulls. With or without other plants .Contained in a bell jar makes a fantastic display.
I particularly like the "whole" environment and favor paludariums. Water features make the display much more interesting.
Did you have a particulr Idea in mind?? gary

o

My idea is to make a sort of Iwagumi-style terrarium. I would like to have rolling hills of moss with some rocks jutting out and 1 small plant (off-center) that looks rather tree-like. Here's the link to a concept drawing I did.

Here is a link that might be useful: concept pic

o

Oops! Here is the correct link for the picture:

Here is a link that might be useful: CORRECT link for concept pic

o

hello
Should be fairly simple to accomplish. What species did you want to use ? gary

o

I haven't decided on the plant to use. I'm still brainstorming. Do you have any ideas?

o

Hello
Well' there would be many choices ,What kind of temps will you maintain?? I can't keep anything but tropicals in my location. Would be a great setup for a dwarfed tree or any tree-like types maybe with selaginella as a ground cover. Maybe some mineral specimens showing through??
Since you want such a simple setup maybe select the "tree" and design around that?? gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here