Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inguvap

My first Terrarium

inguvap
19 years ago

I have been reading about terrariums for 2 weeks now and I went thru all the messages on this form. I usually go overboard with my hobbies and this time I did not want to do it that way. First I bougt a 3 gallon tank in Petco for 21 dollars and some members on this forum told me it is too much to pay. So I returned it and bought a used fish tank in a flea market for 5 bucks. I also bought some Tillandsias. The tank does not have a lid on it and I will be getting a glass lid soon. I arrenged everything yesterday night. It took me 30 minutes to put every thing together and I need your opinions on this project. I know I could do better but do not what.

This is the top view of the tank.

and this is the fron view. I need to cover the front corners with more moss but for now, this is what I got.

So, please give me your opinions.

Do I need lights for this? It does get some light from the place where it is located right now.

Padma.

Comments (15)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

What is that white blob near the front-and-centre tilly? It looks strange. Other than that, I think it looks great! Don't expect that moss to grow, or even to 'come back to life'. It looks like the same stuff I bought at first, thinking it was sphagnum and would come back to life, but it's just plain ole sheet moss, and is thoroughly dead. If it was recently collected it may be alright and grow again, but otherwise, don't get your hopes up. In the pics it looks like you didn't clean the glass. It would look better if you did. =) Also, it appears to be sitting in front of a window, but the curtains are drawn. Which way does the window face? If it faces west or south, you should be fine without any additional light, if you open the curtains. If it faces east or north, it will need some supplemental light from fluorescents. Make sure you leave part of the top open so that heat can escape when the sun is shining directly into your terr. Remember to use only RO water to avoid those water spots and mineral build-up. You can get rid of the ones that are there with any glass cleaner on the outside, but only use RO water, and maybe add a bit of vinegar to get the mineral deposits off, for the inside. I think you would also enjoy your tank more if you got it up off the carpet to a decent viewing height. I think you did a good job with what you had, and you showed remarkable restraint. =) Those tillandsias will form very large clumps as they grow, so I wouldn't add any more plants if you can resist. =) (do as I say, not as I do) =) If you must have more plants, try a small fern, some selaginella, and/or a mini african violet. The african violet has the added bonus of flowering practically all year. I do think you did a good job though, with great use of height and multiple levels for interest. Don't be so hard on yourself! =) How big is the tank, by the way? It looks like a 10 gallon to me, but with nothing for size reference, I really can't say.

• inguvap
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sahoyaref, I just made it last night and did not take it from the place where I made it. I was in a hurry to take the photos and post it on the web. I did find a place for the tank in my plant shelf and it gets some light along with 15 other plants and the plant stand is located in the south direction.
    The spots you see came from the sparying the water. I cleaned it after I saw them myself in the photo. The white stuff is liner I put between gravel and rest of the stuff(charcoal, moss and potting soil). I will be covering with the moss. I did not notice that in the excitement and I took the photos and then realized my mistakes(some of them anyway).
    I thought wrong about the moss. Where do I get the live moss? I am an internet junkie but this time, I thought I would not go too crazy and I got it wrong. I will be ordering some from the internet then.

It is a 10 gallon tank and today I went to petsmart to get lights for that but before I went there, I forgot to get the exact measurements of the tank.
    I really appreciate your suggestions. I will be doing one more tank soon and this time, I am getting a tank with a hood that has lights in it. It would be a 10 gallon tank but I want to have ferns in it.
    This is very addictive. I am really proud of my my first tank(with mistakes and all.)

Padma.

• mrbreeze
    19 years ago

mistakes? hahahahaha

just wait. once you get some mosses or viney plants in there and everything starts really growing you'll forget all about whatever you once thought were mistakes. looks great for a brand new setup! Did you already have the tillandsias? Looks like a good variety.

• inguvap
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mr. Breeze, I used to have about 60 tillandsias in 2000. I live in an apartment and could not take care of them so I gave 50% to my relatives and I managed to kill 20%. Now I have about 12 or so. I also have lot of shells and little driftwood pieces. I was thinking of putting all 12 in the 10 gallon tank but, boy, was I wrong...
    I also have a little Ivy plant, and a pony tail palm(very small) so I am planning to buy another 10gallon tank to accommodate my plants. All I need are the tank and the live moss.
    Padma.

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Black Jungle (blackjungle.com) sells live moss. You might want to wait and see if yours does grow though. Black Jungle isn't really cheap (overpriced, actually), and you'll be able to tell in a couple weeks if your moss is going to come back to life and grow. Don't put the ponytail palm in a terrarium, as they really like to be dry most of the time. They are more like cacti, and they are not true palms, either. The ivy I would also advise against in a small tank, because it will take over very quickly, and since it will put roots down wherever it touches the soil, it will be very hard to get rid of. =) Some sea shells in your terrarium would be a nice touch (I think), and ya gotta love driftwood!

One caution about buying a 10 gal tank with a light hood: don't bother. The 10 gals usually come with incandescent fixtures, and while you can convert these and use screw-in compact fluo's if you're handy and not afraid of electricity, I think it would be much better to buy a 29/33 gallon tank. You will find that you really want the larger tank, and they come with a fluorescent fixture. It is only one tube, so it's not enough for a dark corner, but if you are supplementing with sunlight it will be enough. The only drawback to this is that pretty much the only place to buy the lights are the pet stores, and they are more expensive. They do offer the correct spectrum though (6500-6700K). You *might* be able to find cool whites in the right size at Home Depot, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. Also, if you do find a 30 gal tank at a flea market or other cheap place, chances are the ballast will be burnt out if it even comes with the original fixture. You can buy the fixtures seperately though, so it's not really a problem, just an expense to be aware of.

Why did you put the liner in? There is no point to the gravel if the liner is not porous. The idea is that the water in the gravel area slowly evaporates and keeps the dirt on top of it moist (important to have a small gap between the water level and the dirt level).

Enjoy your terrarium! It really does look great, 'mistakes' and all. =)

• inguvap
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh,Oh,
    I just went out in the lunch time and bought the 10 gallon tank. It has the light fixture and it only costed me 25 dollars and I was so happy to get it.
    Sahoya, shall I return it or shall I try to find a flouroscent bulb for that? Why do I have to be in such a hurry to get the tank?
    Anyway, thank you for your advice.

Padma.

• mrbreeze
    19 years ago

I think I can speak for Sa in saying that you DON'T need to be in a hurry for anything. And you don't have to take that new tank back either...though it is a bit pricey for a ten gallon. Her well made point is just that you'll want a bigger tank sooner or later so rather then getting another small one why not just get a bigger one now? But I don't think it matters much. You can still use the ten gallon for lots of things. There are very few rules in this hobby. (and many of them can be broken anyway)

She is right about the lights and fixtures. Incandescents just don't cut it and crank out too much heat.

sad that you had to lose all those tillies....that must have been quite a collection.

shanti,
    MB

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

$25 is a good price for a 10 gal with a light hood. Here they are $35. And if the space for the lights is big enough, you should be able to just put screw-in compact fluorescents in there, which are great for plant growth. Less heat, more light. WAY more light. Make sure you get cool whites or Daylight spectrum. Home Depot has them. So first decide if you will be happy with another 10 gal. If you will be, then go buy the bulbs (they are the coiled ones. You can just screw them into a regular incandescent fixture) and see if they fit. If they don't fit, return the tank and bulbs, and save your money for a bigger tank!

I agree with MrB about the tillandsias. I would love that many tillandsias. . . I think my husband would be a bit upset at me though. =) Not being able to see out of the windows because of all the plants hanging in the way, that kind of thing. . .

• imaginators
    19 years ago

Terrariums are very addictive. I started off small and now expanding to 2 larger ones. 2 of mine are the type that you plant inside the terrarium and the other is where you put your pot of plants in a an area of enclosed glass with doors and also open shelves on stand to have Orchids.
    This hobby is so much fun and this is a great forum for loads of information and ideas.
    Theresa

• bnuts40
    19 years ago

The setup looks great - It's brand new, but it'll evolve over time, either naturally or from you're own desires.
    For live moss, have you ever thought . . . in the woods . . ?

That's part of the fun of terrariums to me - collecting the specimens (plants or animals) & then trying to grow them.

Cheers

• GinaR1173
    19 years ago

I am very excited for you! Congrats! I am also in the process of working on my first terrarium. I'm going for mini orchids (which I already have!)and probably some bromeliads for a 10 gallon setup. I'm trying to figure out what substrate I'm going to use, as I have been offered a lot of good advice. Anyway, LOVE your work!

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

bnuts: collection of wild plants is illegal in most places, so you shouldn't make a habit of it. Sure, it might look like there's a ton of those plants in your area, but native plants are in danger everywhere, and especially in the south, where you have invasives like english ivy and kudzu choking them out. Collecting moss is probably not a problem, but you shouldn't collect other plants (unless it's ivy).

• trinabeall
    18 years ago

I have gravel and can get moss what else do I need on the botton of my tank?
    I saw someone mention a liner.

• tarapremnath
    9 years ago

Hi, to few of you who asked about terrariums in India. I make them. I have a studio and I send them all over the country. Also sell my terrarium food all over the world.. Tarapremnath@gmail.com is my address and +91-9562000574 is my number. Get in Touch if you're interested. Thanks!