Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgee76_gw

What would you put in this terrarium?

mgee76
14 years ago

I got this 80 gallon tank for $60 this past weekend. Comes stocked with all sorts of nice sticks, rocks, heat lamps, etc. Only problem is that cracked pane on the far side. If I reinforce that and seal it, I shouldn't have a problem with soil putting too much pressure there, should I? How much would it cost to replace the glass? Is it even worth it? The crack is the result of a heat lamp, apparently. Otherwise, the tank is in perfect shape.

So, what would you put in it?

Comments (3)

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Crack appears to be running from top to bottom.?? Is it weak?? If it's stable you can certainly seal it with some silicone especially for a terrarium.. Though glass can certainly be replaced ,I find the glass is frequently higher than another tank lol. Sides usually end up getting coverered with either plants or "landscaping" so you won't be able to see the crack anyway. Certainly got a good price .
    What kind of setup do you want?? Do you see a frog forest, or orchidarium or both??lol
    gary

• mgee76
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey thanks for the response, Gary. I'm new to this web community. As for the kind of setup, I'm not sure yet. I purchased the thing basically because of the price, thinking I could flip it if I had to (birthday money, heh). I was thinking at first that I could fix the glass and go with some sort of saltwater tank, but quick research has led me to believe that too involved. Lately, the idea of growing plants in it has been, well, growing on me. I don't know anything about orchids other than I really like them. My roommate and I were thinking about a small herb garden, but maybe that's too boring. I was hoping some people here had some ideas. Most posts here I see folks using smaller tanks, so I was curious what they would do with a really big one. Last question: are there certain kind of lights for growing plants indoors?

Thanks!

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

hi
    Suggest you look around the net for some inspiration.
    There are sooo many setups and methods don't know where to start. lol. Google "vivariums ""Orchidariums" or my favorite "dutch vivariums"
    This will give you some idea on how simple or elaborate these setups can be . Much advice on heating cooling ,light ,air circulation and the mind boggling choice of plants and animals that can go into these lol
    I recently converted my FW paludarium back to FW aquarium while the greenhouse 150 gallon was converted from FW aquarium in to a wet/dry lowland tropical.
    I got out of SW altogether due to the maintenance and expense.frequent power failures and getting old lol.
    Look around and see what appeals to you. Though that tank seems quite large now within two months of setup it will seem tooo small lol Good luck!!! gary