Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiemaie

150 gallon tank turning in to terrarium

maggiemaie
9 years ago

Hi,
new to terrariums I have 150 gal tank I am converting.... tired of the fish. I want a water fall and have decorations such as small animals and dinos I want in it.
I need plants though any ideas

Comments (11)

• plantfreak1
    9 years ago

I personally would go for something tropical. Bromeliads, tillandsia, pothos, orchids, ferns and mosses. And as for animals, I couple small frogs would love a habitat like that.

If you did the waterfall right you might even be able to have some fish with aquatic plants.

Do you have pictures of the aquarium?

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    I run a semi aquatic 150 in my shadehouse though lately I've been concentrating on landscaping my yard.
    I find the larger the container the easier and more options on sdetups.
    There is a website called "Dutch vivariums" they turned it into an artform. Should give you a lot of inspiration ??
    gary

• maggiemaie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is 6 feet long by 27" tall

• czygyny
    9 years ago

You may find that the glass is too cloudy from calcium buildup, and frankly I've never found a decent way to rid the glass of it all.

I had this problem with a 200 gal tank I wanted to convert.

I used a 29T tank for a really cool terrarium, but it had not been used as an aquarium much and did not have as much build up, but enough to be distracting.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nil13
    9 years ago

You need to use an acid to dissolve the hard water stains.

• paul_
    9 years ago

That's a nice sized tank for a terr!

As far as plants go, it depends in part on how your tastes run and what look you have in mind. Tropicals are indeed the best/easiest way to go for most folks. There are several online vendors like Black Jungle and Josh's Frogs which sell plants that are supposed to be terr compatible. However, I find that most of their offerings get far too large and often far too quickly to be of any use to me. But then I want plants that will stay small without frequent pruning.

I don't know if anyone in the exchanges forum ever has mini plant offerings. I know I sell off divisions of some of my plants now and then (many of the truly mini take quite sometime before reaching dividable size) but I've never tried out the exchanges forum.

Here's a pic of my 90gal:

{{gwi:69788}}

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

So I've been daydreaming about what I'd do with a set up that big. I'm pretty sure I'm overlooking some flaw in the idea I've been bouncing around. Was thinking about chicken wire and whether or not it would be appropriate for a support for a wall of sphagnum and/or spanish moss set against the back so it could be loaded with epiphytes..

Hey Paul,..what's that you're using as backing?

• paul_
    9 years ago

Chicken wire will rust making it unsuitable.

Two different backings there. Stuck to the glass is a sheet of cork -- the type sometimes used to line shelves. Comes in a roll with a self-adhesive backing. Before peeling off the paper and sticking to the glass, I glued peat moss to it. Over that are sections of cork bark. The sections are actually hanging from the back lip of the tank and thus can be removed fairly easily should I desire.

You might try a substance called "EpiWeb". It is sold in sheets about an inch thick. The material is recycled plastic in a more or less fibrous structure. Not too terribly hard to cut yet stiff enough to resist sagging. (It would still need to be affixed in some manner to the back wall of the terr.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Interesting suggestions,Paul.

Thanks! :)

By the way...
    if you don't mind flashing back a decade...remember this thread?

Here is a link that might be useful: Terrarium planter and waterfeature

• paul_
    9 years ago

Dang! Hadn't realized this forum had been around that long already. Doesn't seem like it had been that long ago that I was typing up the FAQ for it.

Haven't heard from Jen in ages. Wonder what she's been up to.

Don't remember much about that thread, unfortunately. Too bad Jen's photo links are no longer active.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

She had hand-built a insert out of foam and cement that looked way cool. I remembered the thread as we were discussing the backing and such.

Was an interesting thread as I recall.
    And I appear in it twice with two different faces.

I was transitioning from ubiquity to azazel somewhere between may and july of 03,and by late 04 switched to this id and have kept to it ever since...even though there was a period of years in there where I really wasn't posting and only had time to lurk occasionally.

It IS pretty mindblowing how the years seem to have swept right by us,huh?