Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Misting systems? Your experiences?

Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 18:06

Sort of a set of general questions. While I'm hardly new to terrs, I've never used a misting system before. I might be getting a very large tank -- 90 gal. [Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to get it to my place. I have a friend whose husband has a van but haven't been able to get their schedule to coincide with mine.] If I do succeed in getting the tank, I figure I would be best off looking at misting systems to handle the majority of the water. It would free me up to actually go somewhere for a week without worrying so much about my plants.

So here we go:

1) What all misting systems are y'all using & are you happy with it/them? What would your personal recommendations be?

2) Have any of you made your own misting system & could you post "directions for dummies" on how you did it?

3) Typically how hard are they to install and maintain?

4) Do misting systems come w/ the necessary pump(s) or is that usually separate?

5) How 'misted down' do things usually get?

6) General recommendations on # of nozzles per gallon size of tank (1 US gal = 3.8L). I realize that the type of terr/viv will, of course, have a huge impact on this but hoping for some general guidelines.

7) What sort of price range is typical?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Misting systems? Your experiences?

I use pro mist myself. I bought the pm60 with an additional 4 nozzles (for a 5 foot diameter terrarium) and payed under $250 for all of it. It comes with everything you need, nozzles, tubing, pump, misting heads, pipe clamps, tees etc etc. One thing to remember with misting systems is that an RO filter is going to be mandatory. The pro-mist heads are extremely fine and will clog very quickly from hard water. It also comes with a timer, so you can mist as much or as little as you want. I've been using it for a while and I highly reccomend it. Mine runs twice a day for 2 minutes at a time and draws from a 5.5 gallon source. I only have to fill it every few weeks.

-DH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here