Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
temane

Question about wood

Temane
18 years ago

HI Everyone,

I am working on my first terrarium for my mini orchid collection. Needless to say it will be a tropical rainforest setting and will have a small waterfall and false bottom water feature. (BTW the Exo-Terra All glass terreriums are great for this)

Anyway, I have gone into a wooded area near my home and collected some interesting deadfall and drift wood. Now to the question:

Do I need to treat the wood with a sealant or anything to stop any decay that has started? Some of the pieces are very worm eaten and have that rotted look. I would like to stop this process.

I have cleaned them out with fresh water (they all came from fresh water areas) and now have them naturally drying. Is there anything I can do to speed this process as well?

Thanks for all you help.

Tem.

Comments (5)

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

Hey, another Canadian! =)

I read in an aquarium book that you can seal pieces of wood with polyurethane varnish. Never tried it myself though, and I imagine you would want to let that dry THOROUGHLY before adding it to your terrarium. I don't know if that will actually stop the decaying process though. They will likely continue to rot on the inside, but they should still last for a few years. I didn't have any problems with small bits of collected wood in my terrarium for a year.

BTW, I also like to grow mini-orchids in my terrarium (as small as the one I have now is). Where are you in Canada? Who do you buy your mini-orchids from? I've gotten all of mine from Paramount in Calgary. They have a decent selection of species minis.

• Temane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Sahoyaref,

I've been lurking around these forums for about a year now and have been enjoying your terrarium advice. How is your new tank? I found some very cool pieces of bark and such that I am going to experiment with to creat texture in my background but have a couple I want to use as mounts.

I think they may end up spending a few hours in an over on very low temp to finish the drying process. The poly varnish should stop the process since it will cut off the oxygen. (Good idea)

I'm in Calgary and see Chuck and Byron about once a month. I've picked up Mini's from them as well as from the society and the special orders we do. I can't wait to see my Bollea and Comparettia's when Eucagenera is here in Sept.

You should come down for the COC and pick up some specials. There are going to be 30+ vendors here (some from the States and Europe) So I am saving my money right now.

Tem

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Hi Tem. I would reccomend driftwood collected from a lake or river. This wood is usually more rot-resistant. I'd try going to a wilderness area where the water is very clean. I've been to Banff National Park and the water looked pristine. Good luck.

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

Well, my 'new tank' is just a 20 gallon fishtank so far; purely temporary. So it's not really a question of how it's doing or how much I'm enjoying it, because as far as I'm concerned it's just a storage facility. =) I did landscape it a bit, but it's nothing like my old terr. What is the COC? Calgary Orchid C_____? And when is it? I'm pregnant right now and the baby is due at the end of August, so if the COC is this fall, I don't think I can make it. =) I do want to make the drive next year though. My husband also wants to check out some aquarium stores down there, so we'll likely return to Edmonton much poorer than when we left. =)

• Temane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Canadian Orchid Congress.

Unfortunately it sounds like bad timing for you. Its the end of September. (The last weekend actually). So this year might be out but next year could be good. Our show is always that weekend.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH