Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelo_s

terrarium vpaludarium ideas

angelo_s
18 years ago

I wanted to build or buy a very large terrarium/paludarium very similar to the exo terra glass terrarium but on a muck larger scale. I like there terrarims but they are way too small

I want it to be able to hold at least 12" of water and made either of glass or acrylic I really dont want to use wood. It would need to have either front opening or sliding doors

I did see cagebydesign.com but I dont think they can hold water

I also checked out jworlds.com and did like there products

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or links to some products that they seen thanks for the help

I dont want the whole tank to hold water. I want a large land area with a long cascading creek/stream flowing from the back of the tank traveling along the side and then droping into a large pool simmilar to the waters edge viquarium but on a much larger and natural scale. I also have a large 5'x18"x2' river tank and I'm getting bord with it I dont think that I can customize it any more then I did I want to create something new

and exiting to look at and also grow a lot of tropical plants

below are pics of my river tank

Here is a link that might be useful: my river tank

Comments (12)

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

http://img103.exs.cx/gal.php?g=img03068yv.jpg

Big enough? I'm sure we could come to some kind of arrangement ;)

Honestly, for what you want you will probably have to build it yourself. Otherwise I would guess it will cost you quite a bit.

-DH

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

I think Jworlds enclosures should do the trick. On their website they advertise their enclosures with a lot of tacky fake plants, but I'm sure live ones could easily be added. They have many models to choose from and some of the ones I saw have a galss lip for holding water and openable glass doors above that. Also this store is much more "custom" than the others so they should probably be able to make a cage exactly how you want it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jworlds Custom Cage Enclosures

• Temane
    18 years ago

Hi Angelo,

What are you using as your background in the river tank?

Tem

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

the backround is actually plastic I just customized it by spreading a mixture of sand and epoxy over it to make it look real

I like jworlds but everything looks too fake I want my tank to look as natural as possible

deadhamster that hex tank is huge I wanted mine to be more rectangular shape so I can build a stream in it Is that pics of your set up

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

yeah, that's my set up. I just built it recently. (it's octagone actually) It's definitly harder to make one like this look nice, since you really can't have a background in it. But I wanted something unique, and it was certainly a fun project. If you don't find what you are looking for just give me a rough design and I will give you a price.

-DH

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

I agree that Jworld's fake plants and stonework look really tacky. But, I was just looking at the actual cage itself. I think that if you ordered the cage without all those fake plants and the stonework you'd really have a good cage.

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

There's a guy here in Canada (Calgary, Alberta) who makes custom terrariums and vivariums. He will also draw up plans and sell them to you for any tank you want, since I don't think you'd want to pay shipping for anything that big and heavy from Canada! =) You probably will have to make it yourself, because not very many people do this kind of work. But if you want plans, email the guy. His name is Greg West, and his terrariums company is called Cornel's World. I've linked it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornel's World

• angelo_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hey deadhampster I took some closer looks of your tank and it looks really great and professionally built. I just glanced at it last time. I noticed the doors you put in there very nice Is the tank made of acrylic or plexiglass and aluminum? also is the whole tank waterproof?

cornels world is a great web site I think I saw it before with a google search too bad they dont have company's like that here in the states. I also saw some great web sites from other countries they have some products that I would love to have
    I saw a terrarium online it was about 5 ft long with front open doors the only problem was the site was in another alphabet so I have no idea of the name or anything
    that site also had custom backrounds that had cliffs, caves waterfalls and built in filters and pumps also a treestump built into the backround made with real cork bark. they also sold tank dividers one looks like a shoreline the other looks like a log dam I was so impressed with the creativity of there products
    I found the site through google images serch

• deadhamster
    18 years ago

It's acrylic and aluminium. It isn't completely waterproof, but it mostly is. Only the lower 6 inches were meant to be, but it could be made waterproof without too much trouble. I designed and built it at work, where I have a full machine shop available. Ever since then them and I have wanted to try our hand at selling them.

-DH

• sleepingdragon
    18 years ago

Hi all...
    new to the forums but while looking for ideas on terrariums I came across this site. I think it might be what your looking for..
    hope that helps...
    sarah

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Cages

• dlilpyro
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this and I was thinking about building a terrarium when I saw this. I wanted the one at jworlds but it was too expensive. So I decided to build one from scratch. I am building it for my adult green water dragon and one I want to get. I really want to have the slope for water as seen in the picture on the link below. I want the cage to be 5' tall, 5' long, and 3' wide. Does anyone know what materials I should use for this project and how I should build it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cage

• terrarium_maker
    15 years ago

We make custom terrariums to spcification in high end custom cabinets. The interior are able to planted as preferred. If you are interested in learning more you can check out the links.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artisan Custom Terrariums