Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Day Gecko Can't Climb

Posted by phelsuma44 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 20:46

My mother in law has had a day gecko for about five months now and she called me freaking out because it can no longer climb. I suggested that maybe it was a little deficient in calcium, but there is no softening of the jaw or other limbs. She did notice that some of his skin on his head is more gray than green, which I chalk up to stress. However, this gecko is very fat, maybe a little on the overweight side. Is it possible that it is too heavy? She has all the correct lighting, and feeds gut loaded crickets and tegu worms, but she has been very poor about feeding fruit regularly. Maybe once a month at best. I have told her to take him to the vet, but we live in the boondocks and I don't think there are any vets that would know what to do with a lizard. I think she will travel though, because she loves this gecko. The lizard is not lethargic, it just can't climb. It does not seem to have much interest in eating either. Any diagnostics or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Day Gecko Can't Climb

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 1, 06 at 19:09

I'd say check with the folks on the forums at www.kingsnake.com Only guess I would have -- and it is a complete guess -- is perhaps he's getting ready to shed.

o

I think he might have blocked intestines, he wont climb and refuses to eat, the different color MIGHT be toxins built up in his system? has he gone "potty?" If he hasnt it might be blocked! When I was a kid I had an iguana that ended up dead (blocked intestines,same signs) because I feed him an incomplete diet, what ever the case a quick trip to the vet wouldnt hurt! =)

o

C'mon! Just dont ask a question then not give an update! Hows the little guy doing!? I dont know about anyone else but Id like to know!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here