Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surface_tension

Bromeliads & Carnivorous

Surface_Tension
18 years ago

Can I set up a terrarium with both bromiliads (Cryptanthus) Vines (Ficus) VFTs and PPs all together?

Tnx from a Noob

Comments (6)

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

Absolutely! The VFT will, of course, have to be taken out every winter for it's 3 months of dormancy in the fridge, and I'm not entirely sure what a 'PP' is, but I'm guessing it's 'pitcher plant'. In that case, make sure you choose a tropical pitcher plant (Nepenthes), and a small species (depending on the size of your tank). N. ampullaria is very cute. Or you can do what I do, and just cut your larger nep back whenever it gets too big. I have a N. ventrata. But you can basically put whatever plants you want in a terrarium, as long as they all like the same temps and humidity levels. Compatible light levels are also good, and in this case, they all work. I'd try the variegated Ficus pumila, because it will probably do better at the higher light levels you'll need than the plain green version, though of course all new growth will adapt, even if the old growth burns initially.

• dkkbeach
    18 years ago

Actually that is not a good idea. Carnivorous plants are carnivorous because they do not have roots that feed from the soil; instead have leaves that get their food for them. Carnivorous plants of all kind thrive in poor acidic soils of mostly peat and sand. Ficus and bromeliads like more nutrient rich soils. If you put carnivorous plants in anything but peat,sand, sphagnum moss you will see a slow decline in their health. Nepenthes usually will not produce pitchers in thoes kinds of situations. I think you should do a tropical carnivorous plant terrarium. They are much less maintainance. Tropical Sundews, mexican butterworts, and Nepenthes are good choices. The book 'Savage Garden' has some really good information on growing carnivorous plants in terrariums. Good luck to you! :)

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

Ummmmmmm. . . of course carnivorous plants have roots! Mine all do! And they don't decline and die if you plant them in regular potting soil. The main thing is that they stay moist. Besides, even if that were the case, other plants adapt very well to growing in sphag. or the usual 50/50 mix of perlite and peat for CPs. I prefer sphag. to grow mine in, and I have also successfully grown wandering jew, ferns, broms, orchids, and english ivy in sphag. And those are only the plants I've tried in sphag. I'm sure many other plants would also enjoy it. Ficus certainly would, and broms would also appreciate the openness that sphag. provides. Of course any CPs you put in your tank should be tropical, but there is no reason that they wouldn't be able to share that environment with a ficus vine and some broms. You could always have a flatter, boggy section for the CPs, and a higher section (best towards the back) for the broms. Or just grow the broms epiphytically on pieces of wood.

• nathanhurst
    18 years ago

The problem with sphagnum and peat is that they are being mined much faster than they regenerate.

• lleopardggecko
    18 years ago

"And they don't decline and die if you plant them in regular potting soil."

Um, yes they do :p

I've tried potting CPs in regular potting soil and it results in nothing but disaster.

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

I agree with sahoy.