Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

A waterfall question

paul_
17 years ago

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have put one in your setup, can you hear the water falling or, being as it is in an enclosed container, has it turned out to be more of just a visual effect?

Comments (5)

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

Visualforme,as you mentioned in your post, its in an enclosed space so I really dont hear it at all,Im guessing that the people that have the open front type can hear thier water falls quite well! Ill be posting pics of my PR trip in the morn as I just now returned, I didnt bring back any frogs and only a few broms and vine type clippings, but was a GREAT time in all!

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hello
    The tough part i found about waterfalls is to get enough flow without splashing the glass. In order to make sound you need a larger amount of water and of course the container will muffle the sound. If I get close to the top of the 75 I can hear it but not in front.
    On the large waterfall, 3x5 feet I can get a strong sound but get incredible evaporation and it washed the plants off the wall lol. have gone with a steady trickle
    accross the entire surface and will do some more experimenting when the plants establish.
    The primary function was for plants anyway but i think if I were to do it over I'd have streams running down the wall
    with islands in between and release thw water at different
    levels
    gary

• paul_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks iliketerrariums! Thanks Gary!

I rather suspected as much. Too bad though. I've thought many a time about how neat it would be to have a waterfall in a terr, but the sound is definitely part of the appeal.

I had wondered about how nice of a waterfall one could create w/o a high volume of water flow. Hadn't thought about plants being washed away. Sounds like a gentle downhill stream is more likely what I would have to settle for. Kind of a bummer that.

Gary how extreme was your evaporation?

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hello
    This waterfall is located in a shadehouse so exposed to
    the elements. Using a 150 gallon aquarium as the reservoir
    Water is released on an expanding foam "rockface" around 5 x 3 feet high. Set it up in March which is the dry season
    and was losing about 10 gallons a day.Now that the humidity is up it's dropped to about two. I'm using mostly epiphytes on the face and it took some time to grab hold.
    Has also been exposed to some very heavy rainfall but is no problem once established. I am getting a terrific amount of tannins ,washed into the aquarium but hopefully will stabilize over time. I used a top soil substrate in the aquarium and planted with a variety of submerged plants while using a fine gravel in the collection area,shagnum in pockets on the "face".
    This is by far the largest most complex setup I've attempted and I'm using only natural sunlight .
    So far it's working lol
    gary

• deadhamster
    17 years ago

It depends a bit on how you set it up, if the water is flowing down rocks, it doesn't splash much. If it is actually falling, you don't need THAT much flow to hear it. I can hear {{gwi:568366}} in most of the rooms on the same floor as the tank.

-DH