Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persistence_gw

Oooooh I get to create again

Persistence
19 years ago

A buddy of mine loved my terrarium so much he commisioned me to build his. i have a 65 gal hex pelxi tank to start out with. i am like a kid in a candy store!

Comments (12)

• nathanhurst
    19 years ago

Sounds fun! Have you got any ideas for what you are going to grow? Do you have any ideas for a theme?

• ladybug_guam
    19 years ago

Tell us what plants, landscape your're planning on....and don't forget to post when your're done
    Ana :)

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

Sweet! That's a beautiful tank to 'terrariumize'. I bet you'll have loads of fun with it! I would LOVE to do something like that, but people are always more interested in my DH's reef tank. =( Not to turn this into a pity party for me though! Do you have any plans yet? Any orchids going to go in there? =)

• Persistence
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I am off to HD to get some foam and parts for the irragation and concrete bonder and....... It will be mostly for orchids but he will have a few other tropicals in there. I really wish I could get that Flavapol stuff for making branches and roots but I can't find that stuff anywhere in the US.

I will take pics of the different stages. I wish I knew more about web sites so I could post them in order.

• order_of_the_spam
    19 years ago

i imagine that you already have a bunch of good and i'm not sure how tall the tall is, but, regarless i have an idea that might work.

you could put a large, thick, twisted branch and put it right in the middle of the tank from top to bottom, maybe run a trickle of water from the top and get a bunch of air plants for it. with this setup it could be viewed from all sides, it could be a center piece or put in the middle of a room.

I saw this technique used in a saltwater aquarium except they used a piece of pvc pipe and covered it with live rock which is simply porous rock with millions of tiny organisms living in it, it is used for growing corals on.

I think it would work well in a terrarium

• komi
    19 years ago

Why can't you just set up a separate photo album? What missing bit of web knowledge are you dreaming of? And when are you moving to DC to make one for me?

• Persistence
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That is a good idea there Spam. this is going to be an orchid terrarium so I need the bottom for more terrestrial orchids and wet walls for orchids to grow on.

Komi, I'd come and build you one dear but you need to send me a ticket ;-)

I thought a neat lil website that some people have with pics and descriptions of the different stages. seems that many people have questions about materials and how to use them as well as wiring fans and such. it's really very easy and good descriptions and pics might help some. Also, there are different ways to set them up as well as fish tanks and self made tanks used as the terrarium. Most sites only show 1 way to do things.

• komi
    19 years ago

hey Mike - I want those pics and explanations. I'm sending you mail.

• sterling3
    19 years ago

I just discovered this forum, and was reading the back posts...

Could you use a "Japanese rain chain" in a terrarium?

They are really cool, mostly used on gutters, the water slides down the chain to the ground and they are decorative.

I can imagine a small one in a terrarium instead of a waterfall...maybe you could even attach an orchid or other plant to the chain and it would get constant moving water?

Sterling

Here is a link that might be useful: rain chain site

• sahoyaref
    19 years ago

I think it would look very nice, but what if you got copper leaching into the soil? It would just keep building up, and could possibly harm the plants eventually.

• nathanhurst
    19 years ago

Use a stainless steel chain? Or gold :)

• sterling3
    19 years ago

I suppose you would have to make one, (or even just buy a large chain in a hardware store,)out of some other material.

I like the concept, just need to improvise with something not bad for the plants.

Sterling

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County