Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Charcoal

Posted by Larry_B Z5/CO (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 04 at 4:58

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how important charcoal is for a terrarium? Also, how thick a layer should I put in the bottom of a 1 gal terrarium?

Many thanks,

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Charcoal

I don't think it's important at all. It's really only to absorb odours (the water in the bottom can get pretty smelly), but once it's absorbed all it can, it's useless, and can actually begin releasing things back into the water/air. Besides, you only ever smell the old water at the bottom if you move the soil aside to expose the gravel (which is what i'm assuming you're using for drainage). Since that doesn't happen often at all, what's the point? It's just an extra expense.

o

I agree that charcoal is not a necessity. However, I will disagree that it is useless. I use horticultural charcoal in all my soil mixes, as I have personally witnessed plant roots selectively attaching to the chunks of activated charcoal in my mix. Activated charcoal is a good medium for ion transfer and may have some beneficial relationship with the selective uptake/metabolism of plant roots (this is all pure speculation based upon my experiences and talking with others--I have no citations to back this up).

As for it releasing toxins back into the environment . . . that is unlikely, as that typically happens only at extremes of pH and/or temps. I use it and will swear by it, but it's mostly a preference thing. At about $3 per gallon, it's not that big of an expense either way.

o

Hi,

Actually I didnt put any gravel in the bottom of the small terrarium. I used African violet wicking soil. It is very porous. Since I knew nothing about terrariums, I though it would work OK. So far so good after a year. I have been told, though, that I should probably refresh the soil and have a layer of something on the bottom for extra water, thus the question of charcoal.

Thank you both for your input.

Larry

o

Yeah, you really don't need gravel, either. The plant roots grow down into it anyways, so it really doesn't improve drainage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here