Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropichris

two plants in terrarium...good idea?

tropichris
14 years ago

Hello;

I have a mimosa pudica that looks to be flowering age and was wondering, if it set seed, would the other plants grow in a vivarium with lizards and frogs? Im not sure because my plant is growing sharp thorns, which I knew it did. Could I put the seeds in the vivarium?

Also;

I just got back on a trip from the florida keys and brought back two banyan tree cuttings. I was thinking of growing the smaller one as an epiphyte in my terrarium (as a bonsai, of course!) Arent these plants "strangler figs"? Would it make areial roots as a bonsai/epiphyte? And, would it work in a vivarium with frogs and lizards?

Here are the stats of the terrarium so someone can answer my questions better:

HUMIDITY: 70-80%

TEMPERATURE: 70-80oF (90oF under heat lamp)

LIGHTING: One 50 Watt Zoomed Repti Basking Spot Lamp(UVA): One 15Watt Exo-Terra Repti Glo UVB lamp running the length of the cage("Repti Glo 5.0"- puts out 30% UVA; 5%UVB)

The cage is by an east-facing window. If there is not enough UVB output I have a bulb that puts out 10% UVB I can swap the Exo Terra for.

SOIL: coconut fiber(bed-a-beast) with added fertilizer

BACKGROUND: coconut fiber(made off of Blackjungle's "How To make a custom landscpe/background for your terrarium")

ANIMALS: green anole, brown anole, two geckos from Florida keys, two tree frogs.

SIZE OF TERRARIUM: 18in.(height)X 24in.(length)X 17in.(depth, one less than 18inches because of background)

So, would a banyan and Mimosa pudica work in a terrarium?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction