Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug_guam

Need help on terrarium fan...

ladybug_guam
19 years ago

I went to a computer store to buy a fan, ok, miracles happen in Guam, they have them... but I didn't know how to make it work. The kid at the store had no idea how to do it and looked at me as if I was an ET.... I know that I have to splice the cables to connect them to an extension cord, which I know how to do, on lamps that is, on this gismo there are 3 little fine cables and I think I need a converter... 110 will burn the fan in 2 seconds, since the voltage is something like 2.

Can somebody tell me how to go about it? What I want is one of those very small ones, like 1"x2"x1" or something like that.... you can tell I'm not well verse in electrician's lingo.....please help!

Thank you!

Ana :)

Mike, I know you just did one, if you read this, please tell me how you did it.

Comments (8)

• rodzuf
    19 years ago

If you go to radio shack(or some electric store) and looks for a basic AC/DC converter this should work fine. Here is the link for what I used on my salt tank.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you, rodzuf, I'll try it now.

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Ladybug, all you need is a 12 volt power supply. Doesn't matter what make or model. It doesn't even have to be a super-expensive regulated power supply as the fan isn't very sensitive to spikes or changes in voltage-it will just change RPMs a bit.

I bought an el-cheapo battery powered fan at a local drugstore. This fan actually has a jack for a power supply like the Radio shack one mentioned above. The setup seems to work just fine. It's been in my orchidarium now for 4 months without fail-no mold, no rot, no issues whatsoever.

I figured it was easier than trying to cobble together a PC fan setup-even thought I have all the parts.

Sam

• homer_zn5
    19 years ago

Yes, a 12 v ac/dc converter is what you need. Around here, you can buy one that you can vary in voltage from 3-12 volts. You can use that to vary the speed--more volts, more speed. Just don't exceed the voltage on your fan model.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    19 years ago

i had to add a "speed" controller in to my line as well since many time it will be on the higher end of things and the fan will be blowing to hard.

I know radio shack sells a dial to control the power but that is a good chunk of change too.. so i got a small 3 step switch at a computer store that controls the power that way and is only a few bucks. It should be with the cpu fans there.

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you all!
    I'll try and see if I can find them here, if not, I'll just order them from the States.... right now, something else is on my mind.... see my post: "Awesome but deadly"
    Ana

• dragonthoughts
    19 years ago

Homer's method is how I do it. If you go with a power supply they are bigger and not variable unless you spend more money.
    Out of the 3 wires you only need 2, the third being for the speed sensor on the motherboard. Usually, red for positive, black for negative, then blue for the sensor. Depending on the converter, positive and negative are usually labled. If they aren't then the center connection is usually positive, with the outer connection neg.

Here is a link that might be useful: 15$ converter

• ladybug_guam
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you, dragonthoughts!
    Sorry it took a while to respond, power was off, then my provider had problems, and we had plenty to worry about the Typhoon, is semi normal now, we have another one in the horizon, but not sure yet if it's zeroing on us, hope NOT! had enough this season already!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz