Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help on terrarium fan...

Posted by ladybug_guam z11 Guam (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 04 at 12:08

I went to a computer store to buy a fan, ok, miracles happen in Guam, they have them... but I didn't know how to make it work. The kid at the store had no idea how to do it and looked at me as if I was an ET.... I know that I have to splice the cables to connect them to an extension cord, which I know how to do, on lamps that is, on this gismo there are 3 little fine cables and I think I need a converter... 110 will burn the fan in 2 seconds, since the voltage is something like 2.
Can somebody tell me how to go about it? What I want is one of those very small ones, like 1"x2"x1" or something like that.... you can tell I'm not well verse in electrician's lingo.....please help!
Thank you!
Ana :)
Mike, I know you just did one, if you read this, please tell me how you did it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help on terrarium fan...

If you go to radio shack(or some electric store) and looks for a basic AC/DC converter this should work fine. Here is the link for what I used on my salt tank.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thank you, rodzuf, I'll try it now.

o

• Posted by GaWd z9/10 NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 19, 04 at 14:05

Ladybug, all you need is a 12 volt power supply. Doesn't matter what make or model. It doesn't even have to be a super-expensive regulated power supply as the fan isn't very sensitive to spikes or changes in voltage-it will just change RPMs a bit.

I bought an el-cheapo battery powered fan at a local drugstore. This fan actually has a jack for a power supply like the Radio shack one mentioned above. The setup seems to work just fine. It's been in my orchidarium now for 4 months without fail-no mold, no rot, no issues whatsoever.

I figured it was easier than trying to cobble together a PC fan setup-even thought I have all the parts.

Sam

o

Yes, a 12 v ac/dc converter is what you need. Around here, you can buy one that you can vary in voltage from 3-12 volts. You can use that to vary the speed--more volts, more speed. Just don't exceed the voltage on your fan model.

o

i had to add a "speed" controller in to my line as well since many time it will be on the higher end of things and the fan will be blowing to hard.

I know radio shack sells a dial to control the power but that is a good chunk of change too.. so i got a small 3 step switch at a computer store that controls the power that way and is only a few bucks. It should be with the cpu fans there.

o

Thank you all!
I'll try and see if I can find them here, if not, I'll just order them from the States.... right now, something else is on my mind.... see my post: "Awesome but deadly"
Ana

o

Homer's method is how I do it. If you go with a power supply they are bigger and not variable unless you spend more money.
Out of the 3 wires you only need 2, the third being for the speed sensor on the motherboard. Usually, red for positive, black for negative, then blue for the sensor. Depending on the converter, positive and negative are usually labled. If they aren't then the center connection is usually positive, with the outer connection neg.

Here is a link that might be useful: 15$ converter

o

Thank you, dragonthoughts!
Sorry it took a while to respond, power was off, then my provider had problems, and we had plenty to worry about the Typhoon, is semi normal now, we have another one in the horizon, but not sure yet if it's zeroing on us, hope NOT! had enough this season already!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here