Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrarium_dude

This is my First Terarium and i need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terrarium_DUDE
18 years ago

Ok... so my dad catches the poison dart frog that is not poisonis. and i need to make a terarium for him/her. So the reason i am putting this meassage on is because i need to know what kind of plants would be good for him/her. I also want to know if anybody knows "how to raise wingless fruit flies".

If you know of anything else i will need please tell me. here is a list of stuff i have:

Rocks + Charcol-for the bottem

This mesh that does not let dirt or plants grow through

Nice dirt for where we got him

and a 3 or 5 gal fish tank with cover and a light that i can put in

Comments (11)

• lynette4263
    18 years ago

Basic Intro to Dart Frogs

Here is a link that might be useful: Basic Introduction to dart frogs

• lynette4263
    18 years ago

You could keep yourself busy for an entire day reading on-line about dart frogs...

Here is a link that might be useful: dendro board

• Terrarium_DUDE
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both but is still need more info

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

Make shure the frog isn't endangered. Some PDF's are just too rare/valuable to have beginners fooling with them.

Otherwise, good luck!

• lynette4263
    18 years ago

I don't understand what more you need. If you don't want to take the time to do the research and reading, it would be best for the little guy to put him back where you found him. Actually considering you only have a 3-5 gallon tank, I'd say for SURE it would be best to put him back.

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

I agree. Try starting with an easier frog...like a white's treefrog or a green treefrog. I know there are some introduced frog species in Hawaii that have become somewhat of a problem-how about collecting some of those?

• ladybug_guam
    18 years ago

Ha! Get yourself a Coqui.
    Ana :)

• Cdfortin
    18 years ago

yeah - aren't those the frogs that croak so loud it sounds like an 18 wheeler in your front yeard?

• sahoyaref
    18 years ago

Our son was given a little Coqui stuffed animal that makes the little sound when you squeeze it's belly. It's really cute! Didn't know you had them in guam though. The little info. tag that came with him said that he's the national frog of puerto rico or something like that.

I would definitely not try to keep a wild-caught PDF though, especially when all you have is a tiny tank and no experience or desire to learn how to take care of it properly. Just put it back where you found it.

• iliketerrariums
    18 years ago

Hi, I agree with everyone else, you, or better yet, the frog will be better off if you put him back where your dad got him, it sounds like your not interested in learning about them from the links =( they will provide you with most if not all the info you need on caring for the frog you have, a three gallon tank is way to small, thats like you being used to the WORLD you live in, then all of a sudden being put into your room for the rest of your life, I have two whites tree frogs and their first vivarium was a 55 gallon, think about it and Im sure you will make the right decision. =) by the way, the coqui is the national frog of puerto rico, and it makes a whistling sound that is one of the sweetest sounds Ive ever heard! (coming from a frog!LOL!) Ive been sung to sleep many a night by those little frog! Tony =^)-

• Terrarium_DUDE
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thx but i have got it going good its been about a month now
    and i have been feeding him pincrikets and hes a happy camper so thx for all the help this is now closed