Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hottielover14

Thermomter/Hyrometer question

hottielover14
17 years ago

Hi everybody, i have been using a Flukers Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer in my terrarium but it has broke i think cuz of the humidity or misting or something so i have to get a new one. Im wondering if i should get the same one or get a diff one. I've heard that its pretty accurate and that digital ones are a lot better and more accurate than the regular dial thermometers. what do u think?

Comments (10)

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

I think that if you can afford the digital ones by all means go for it! =) I cant seem to find a digital thermometer/hygrometer that I can afford! Ill stick to the Fluckers for now but they do break quite often, I think Im going to break down and buy a digital combo as I hear that they are indeed more accurate =)

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok thanx

• deadhamster
    17 years ago

I bought a digital dual thermometers and 1 hygrometer from radio shack and I think it was around $30 if I remember right. It doesn't look that durable, but I've had it in my terrarium for 1.5 years now and its sitting under a misting head. It works fine, I haven't even had to change the battery yet. I've heard there is something similar available at walmart for only $10 or $15 though. You might look there first. They were out of stock when I was looking, which is why I have a radio shack model.

-DH

• deadhamster
    17 years ago

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to link you. Here it is, and it's only $20. not bad at all

-DH

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hey thanx for the link deadhamster..i have that one in my terrarium right now cuz ive had it for about 1 1/2 yrs in my room but when my Flukers therm/hygro went out i put that in there for now..but its soo big in there so I might just get a Flukers one again cuz its small and pretty accurate.

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

Hey DH, The main unit measures temp and humidity inside, but the probe at the end of the wire only measure temp, it would be great if it measured both temp and humidity at the probe that way you could just place the probe in the terrarium and keep the main unit outside the set up =) there are wireless units that measure both temp and humidity but they are a bit costly, I will be using one for my next set up as I have gone through to many of those Fluckers =)

• hottielover14
    Original Author
    17 years ago

what are the wireless ones iliketerrariums?

• deadhamster
    17 years ago

I know it only measures humidity at the unit. My terrarium is 8 feet tall, the large size of it honestly never occured to me. I just buried the bottom of the thermometer in the ground and ran the probe up to the top by wrapping it around a pothos vine. But I guess if you were putting it in a 10 gallon tank, it would be a bit distracting :)

-DH

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

DH,I think I could park my bike in your set up and noboby would notice! LOL! Maybe one day when I own a bigger home =) Hottie, the wireless unit consist of one main unit with the readouts that stays outside the terrarium, and one or more units that you place inside the terrarium, and there are no wires connecting the units inside the set up to the main unit out side, its really nice but the units that go inside are just about as big as the one you guys have, so I guess it would stick out a bit, Im planning a much bigger set up but am going to wait about a year or so as we're considering looking for a home in Puerto Rico =) its a big move so we're going to take our time with the decision, which put any major projects on hold =(

• iliketerrariums
    17 years ago

Heres the wireless one I mentioned, it was $39.00 but it measures the temp and humidity both inside and outside the terrarium wirelessly! (among other great features!)that crazy guys my cat Binky, he's a screwball!
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/wireless002.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/stumpyspic/wireless001.jpg