Return to the Terrariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New terrariums... too much soil?

Posted by lalique (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 20:09

What are your thoughts? Pics are attached. Plants are a purple waffle and a polka dot plant.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New terrariums... too much soil?

In my opinion, yes I do think you have too much soil. If your plants decide to get any bigger they'll run out of room. I'm pretty new to this too (I actually went out and bought some cookie jar containers like those to use for my own terrariums). But I do have two (so far) successful terrariums. Neither of them have too much soil. The bigger one might not even have enough.

o

The smaller one.

The first pic is of a chloryphytum and a fittonia and the second pic is about 6 fittonias - one of them a pink variety. Neither of them get direct sunlight. They're both placed on south facing windows, but get plenty of shade from the house next door. The bigger terrarium is sealed. From what I've read on here, there aren't many advocates for sealed terrariums. After opening and closing the lid for the first week or so and finding the right balance of moisture inside, it's remained closed.

o

I would agree that you have too much in the jars. One of things you could do is skip the bottom layer of gravel. Despite the "convential wisdom" it really does not provide any benefits. I would then further decrease your soil by 1/4 to 1/3. The problem with your current level is, as GT said, it does not currently allow for much room if your plants start to grow.

Happy planting!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here