Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessi323

What are the steps in planning a terrarium?

jessi323
15 years ago

Reading the great threads on terrariums has gotten me thinking that it would be great fun to plan and develop one for our family, maybe eventually get some sort of critter (like a frog). I have just enough knowledge to be really dangerous to my wallet. Son has a 20 or 25 gallon hexagonal tank with stand, and I have the perfect spot in the house for it, convenient to outlets, but I really don't know what other things I need to look for, think out, and plan for.

Do you first decide what kind of terrarium you are looking for? I would love to have plants, water, some "not under water" land surface, and maybe a critter down the road. What other things need planned out? The plants, landscaping...and? I am hoping to learn by the benefit of your collective experience and avoid as many newbie mistakes as I can.

Thanks in advance for any insight and opinions. I would love to hear from other folks with a 20 gallon hex tank to know what worked and didn't work for you in your terrariums.

Comments (4)

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    The first thing to decide which you seem to have done
    is what type. Warm ,lowlight,with tropical plants.,maybe with water features??
    What I've learned over the years is aquariums make lousy terrariums lol. Access is only through the top,lights are always in the way and of course the limited vertical space.
    The best container is taller than wide and as large as you have space for. Openinings in the front. There is always something that needs to be moved around.
    If you MUST use an aquarium the rectangles give far more options on lighting and equipment and of course more horizontal space.. if you want to keep animals ,obviously everything must be designed around their needs.
    You can make a wonderful terrarium out of the hex but will have many limitations. Depends on what you want .
    Many people make wonderful plantings from Brandy snifters or even glass bottles. i keep telling them that those are not terrariums those are dish gardens lol
    Check out some of the websites for inspiration. Just google Vivariums ,Terrariums, . Be sure to check out "Dutch Vivariums" They moved terrariums into a work of art!!!
    These give all kinds of methods and options. good luck with yours!!! gary

• jessi323
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gary thanks so much for the advice. I agree that the hex tank will limit my options with such a small footprint. I hadnt thought about that, thanks for pointing it out! I dont know if I will forge ahead and try to make a terrarium or not. I don't want to invest a good chunk of time and $ into something that won't end up the way I envision. BUT... I already have the tank + stand, and there is a perfect place in my living room for it.. it seems to be calling to me, lol! It looks like fun and something my younger kids (5 & 3) would enjoy helping with. I will google your suggestions and get some more info before we decide if we are going to do it or not.

Thanks again, Gary!

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Don't let me dampen your enthusiasm lol. A terrarium can be as simple or as complex as you choose. For young children I think the "miracle " of a seed sprouting is great. Choose seeds that sprout and develop quickly of course.lol My daughter always expected the seeds to be up
    within hours lol.
    Martha Stewart has many suggestions on her website of different types. I still think of these as dish gardens not terrariums lol
    I only keep a 75 gallon, paludarium, Half water half epiphyte in the house now. I decide to convert my grow area into a terrarium. At 12x25 x10 feet high i guess it's not really a terrarium more of a landscaped greenhouse?? Stll not big enough lol.
    The tank will give your children a look into the magical world of plants with very little expense. Close up and personal good luck with whatever you decide!!! gary

• paul_
    15 years ago

For that matter, keep researching the posts on this forum. There are all sorts of Qs addressed throughout. Does make for quite a bit of reading but that is what research often comes down to.

Also don't be disappointed if it take a while for Qs to get answered. This forum can get extremely slow. I think the big problem is that once one has made their terr, there just isn't much reason to keep popping in.

I wouldn't worry about:

"I dont know if I will forge ahead and try to make a terrarium or not. I don't want to invest a good chunk of time and $ into something that won't end up the way I envision."

After all, let's face it ... even if it were to turn out "exactly" as you envision, there's no surety that a year later you wouldn't be thinking ...
    "Geez, I wonder how it would be if I ...."
    or
    "I really like the way it turned out but now I want..."

That's just life. DO take the time to plan everything out to be a low maintainence as possible -- especially if you do use a waterfeature (personally I wouldn't in a 25 gal tank -- takes up too much of the floor space), make sure to design things so even after its finished you have EASY access to the pump and any filters -- or you will wind up cursing yourself for gross stupidity.

Keep it simple to start. Yes there are all sorts of cool things to use in a terr, but you will be absolutely shocked at how fast all that space just disappears. Put the critter on the "back burner". For now focus on creating a well established terr -- and don't forget -- if this might someday be used for a critter, NO pesticides can be used PERIOD.

Good luck and let us know how things are going!
    :)

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer