o
Coleus

Posted by Bryce_Godwin 6 So. IL (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 04 at 22:16

Would Coleus do well in a terrarium. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coleus

I don't think so, they need full sun, plenty of air circulation, is not, they get mold very fast, and, they grow large, sorry...I love coleus, have many outside, here's a pic of one and how big they get, this one pic I took after prooning half of it off!
Ana :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Coleus

o

sure you can do that. you just need the terrarium to fit the conditions the plants need. If it grows tall you need a tall terrarium. If it needs bright light you can use metal halide or sodium halide lights.
I don't know enough about the plants to tell you how to do it, but www.glasshouseworks.com has some info on them I think. I ran across it before but they get to big for my setup. I couldn't check on how extensive the info is because the site seems to be down...

o

I'm going to try this out soon, because I love the colours of coleus, and I'll post my results. I think you should just try it! Take a cutting and plop it in your terr. They root very easily, and as long as you have fans for air circulation and artificial lighting that's strong enough, it should work. As for the size they grow to, just keep it pinched and when it still gets too big, take the plant out, take a cutting, and put the cutting back in to start over. It's worth a shot!

o

Hi
Coleus is one of my favorite plants and I grow them in every conceivable way. The trick is to slowly adapt it to it's new form of culture.
In my terrarium I'm growing cuttings in the folds of a waterfall with no media at all!! It has produced epi roots
is still maintaing the colors.Growth is slow and many cuttings died but the greener ones seem the most adaptable.
The trick is to start the cuttings in a pot and overtime
move toward the culture of your choice.
Size is unimportant because they root so easily you can start new ones.
My experience has been the more green on the leaves the more adaptable. They are so cheap and easily available why not experiment??
Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Terrariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here